Alienware 17 R5 (R1) BIOS Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Aliengr

Aliengr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just checked my current BIOS settings are:
    Windows 8 Fast Boot Disabled
    Secure Boot Disabled
    Load legacy option rom Disabled
    Boot List option UEFI

, unforunately it won't boot with the 980m card. My only hope is the BIOS unlock and then send it back....

2. javers

javers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes its the same service tag as the original release - BVMLLX1

With regards to your bios settings they do seem correct to boot the 980m - I'm assuming you're already on A14? This will be a pain but my only other suggestion would be to strip the laptop down, take the palmrest off and disconnect the edp panel. That way you should be able to connect laptop to a hdmi monitor / tv and boot it with the onboard intel gfx with SG mode - then see if the bios lists "Nvidia GFX" as the discrete graphics 1. You can also boot windows via the intel gfx and see if the 980m is also visible in device manager (just as the generic vga driver). If it is visible the card is probably ok and you may need to flash the vbios on the 980m, which you can do when booting SG.

Javers

3. Aliengr

Reputations:
    @javers I have connected an hdmi monitor without leaving off the exp cable and the laptop booted, it detected the driver from windows update and installed it without problem. But the laptop screen is black and if I try to set it as main screen it says it cannot retain the settings. You said something about flashing nvram, can you point me to the right direction?

I'm very grateful for your help, can't thank you enough!

Gregory

4. javers

javers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah great stuff, we should probably continue discussion in a fresh thread as not to hijack but I wonder if you have a gsync version of the 980m (although probably wouldn't have auto installed the drivers if so) - could you post a screen shot of gpu-z so we can have a look at the card details and its vbios version.

Javers

5. Aliengr

Reputations:
    Attached the screenshot of gpuz. Just installed the latest nvidia driver without problems also..

Attached Files:

6. Aliengr

Reputations:
    @javers also I changed legacy option rom to enabled and I get backlight and can get to bios if I m hooked to an external monitor and it shows on the laptop screen. But no display when I get to windows...

7. javers

javers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok maybe try flash the vbios on the card to the attached file which is the Dell official 980m vbios file from the Alienware 18. You'll need to use the nvflash tool and of course back up the existing vbios first in case you need to revert.

Javers

Attached Files:

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I don't think it's a good choice to flash a 980M card in Ranger with the AW18 vBIOS for 980M, Prema mentioned that his version of BIOS which fixed the Fan tables is only for the AW18 not even the M18x R2 and the v2 is better for the 17 R1. I suggest to flash the Prema v2 (Universal - Clevo / MSI / AW 8GB MXM variant) which works without issues or the Svl7-John, both work 100% flawless the former needs more cooling as it runs on tad higher voltage and clocks but OC capability and sustained clocks are guaranteed. Perhaps Svl7 is also same but It entirely depends on the ASIC or the bin quality.

Striker1234 likes this.
  9. Aliengr

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I cannot seem to find any download links for any of the two the prema's links are dead and the svl7 require a weeks wait is techinferno.... Do you have any other links or the files to test it?

Thank you!!

Update:

After a test connecting HDMI and Display port to a VGA monitor, I was able to make my laptop's monitor to display at Full capacity (Full HD + 120Hz) but after reboot, you have to do it again, only this time is was suffecient to connect the HDMI cable. After first reboot also my screen made some weird white and grey shadows for a while before going dark. Hope we find a solution!
    This only occurs if legacy boot rom is enabled. If on pure UEFI only external display works

Thank you!
    Gregory

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  10. Aliengr

Reputations:
    Just flashed the svl7 vbios, UEFI mode the laptop boots fine, but whatever I try every game crashes on start. This wasn't happening with previous rom. Any suggestions?