Alienware 17 R5 (R1) BIOS Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Field Alienware17

Field Alienware17 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your advice. I disabled virtualization, wireless connection, and Windows Fast Boot in BIOS, but still doesn't work. I totally give up:cool:

Hey mate, if you have the same hardware as I do, you may experience the same issue. I've updated to MSI1070 MXM over a year now, and it works fine. But I know the 1070 is operating in suboptimal condition because lack of power supply. Here is a quick test. Run a 3DMark testing or play a game while running HWiNFO64 sensor, and check sensor data 30min later. You will see the maximum GPU power consumption never reach to 115w. it was locked by motherboard @ 100w. I’m talking about 15% performance loss.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I hold the #1 spot on fire strike and have toiled with that setup for a while. Gpu will work at 115w but the mxm port doesn't seem to like going above 118w with the 1070.

I have since moved on to a p750zm.

I played many game switch it as it was my daily driver, I wouldve noticed if my core clock changed to meet some new envelope due to power limit reason.

My issue wasn't meeting 115w,it was meeting above that

Crustieraxe01 likes this.
  3. jaximus

jaximus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After flashing with the modded A16+, I changed a setting in the BIOS to turn off The iGPU. Now my system beeps 8 times. The CPU I'm using is an 4710QM but I also have the 4930MX which I don't want to use for this machine.

When I attempt at doing an emergency BIOS recovery with the USB stick, Its is taking forever!

Also, all the fans are going off loud and the power button just keeps flashing orange. the USB light is fading on and off. No lights on the HDD indicator light just a solid green light on the A padlock.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  4. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    to turn off The iGPU?

you mean go PEG?

maybe try an nvram reset?

“emergency BIOS recovery with the USB stick, Its is taking forever!“

Forever, but with what end result?

5. jaximus

Reputations:
    Yes, In the modded bios there is an option to disable the integrated GPU, which I did. I didn't touch PEG at all. And now I get 8 beeps and nothing. I tried all the reset methods many times following the instructions exactly. For the emerg bios recovery, it just sits there blowing the fans really loud and doesn't reset once.

I bridged the cmos solder points on the mobo and also the ME1.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    If your PEG then it would already be disabled, but if your SG and then disable iGPU through some other means then it might not work at all.

Throw the 4930mx in there and see if that prompts a hardware change so it can post.

Though I never needed such measures, simply removing the CMOS battery and draining power was enough. that being said I did ruin my Audio by adjusting the bus clock.

7. jaximus

Reputations:
    @TheReciever

Thats actually really good advice, I've read thru all of the threads in:
    (Alienware 17 Overclocking BIOS Recovery Guide) and a lot of the associated links. And it suggests the very same idea. I tried putting my 4930mx in but still got the beeping errors I think 7x for CPU. I used the old thermal paste because of speed -it was only for testing for a short time anyway. Maybe I need to re-paste it properly.

What I did is disable the iGPU and also I turned on the overclocking feature. Thats it thats all. Didn't touch the PEG. Also prior all that I threw in a wrong ServiceTag (one from anolther Alienware 17 R1 but still 7 characters) I have quite a few. And everything still seemed ok and could access the Bios fine. But after changing those settings it all went to hell.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Right, but you should create a thread for that, I dont know your hardware configuration or BIOS settings so determining the issue would be fairly difficult

I never needed to use different hardware to prompt a vanilla BIOS, draining power always worked despite complaints about NVRAM

9. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So this in the picture is the line you changed to "disabled"?

What were you trying to do (what choosing PEG wouldn't do) anyway and why?

You flashed bios with some random tag?
    As I recall, its specifically said NOT TO DO! or face a brick.
    I think because IT HAS to match the existing tag already in bios.
    Maybe those lovely people that did this unlocked bios can help you

Attached Files:

10. jaximus

Reputations:
    Yes exactly that line and I chose (disabled). :\ Now I wish I hadn't! I think if I try throwing in my 120hz screen it may actually post tho. I will try tonight.
    I don't know what PEG is all about although it sounds like what I need. -esp. for when I go put in the 120hz.

It says you must change it from "your_st" to (apparently) the actual motherboards st. Which I forgot to because I threw in an ssd from another AW17R1 I could'nt get the sleepbug to work with, all the while thinking I already edited the bin so its good to go.
    Strange tho upon entering the bios, it still managed to display the "other, other" st.. Hopefully I can fix this or I'll just buy a new bios chip and have it soldered in then reload the 16+ with correct st.
    But this isn't the thread for that really so I'll shut up

I'm under the impression that being such an outdated system, the lovely people that did the work for us have moved onto better things -Even when trying to send a donation to 2 different sources, that was denied.