Alienware 17 R5 (R1) BIOS Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jdb2

jdb2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oops, well, can a moderator move my message to the appropriate sub-forum?

Thanks,

jdb2

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Anyone know if its possible to remove the 120w GPU power limit?

jdb2 likes this.
  3. jdb2

jdb2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If someone could supply an unlocked 17 R5 UEFI BIOS, then you'd probably not only be able to add 64GiB of RAM, but override any limits, including the power limit :)

My Intel NUC8i7BEH, while having a puny CPU compared to my 17 R5, has a fully GUI-based mouse-supporting UEFI BIOS and it has options for tweaking just about anything, whereas, Dell's crappy text-based "AMI Aptio V Setup Utility" BIOS has almost no tweaking options, which is idiotic for a gaming laptop that touts its overclockability.

Regards,

jdb2

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    This is a thread for m17x R5 / 17 R1 so 32GB is the max as 64GB kits were never produced for DDR3 so-dimms to the best of my knowledge.

@Khenglish @Prema @Mr. Fox @Rengsey R. H. Jr. @Ashtrix @EepoSaurus

I was able to pull 150w easily enough out of my 1070, however anything beyond specifically 120w power throttles. Temp is 55c and I have a dozen vram copper heatsinks on the VRM end of the laptops heatsink.

I plan to modify it a bit further and give them a dedicated fan just to rule out potential heat issues, it could be possible that its throttling before any heatsoak occurs which could also indicate bad contact. Ill verify when I get home later today.

Was wondering if you guys have any other off the top of your head thoughts about how to get past 120w?

I can also go back into the bios and see if there is any power adapter warnings I could disable. Last time I was in there, I was more concerned about unlocking CPU power limits.

Im just worried if its the EC creating my new problems or not. As the MXM port seems to power it just fine at 150w.

Ashtrix, jdb2 and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    My guess is the EC is capping total system power draw like it did with the Alienware 18. You could never get full performance from the CPU and GPU simultaneously because their cancer firmware capped total system power draw at 330W. The firmware would pull the CPU down to 800MHz to keep the total draw down to under 330W. Thus, the dual 330W AC adapter setup that worked marvelously on the M18xR2 did nothing for the Alienware 18.

Ashtrix, Papusan and jdb2 like this.
  6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Thats the thing, I only pull about 70w from the 4930mx while gaming, but have pulled up to 130w when testing 4.5Ghz but of course that was just CPU testing so no GPU load. Max I can pull for the moment is 120w regardless of power draw on the CPU. This is with a 330w AC Adapter. If I could make the system pull 330w I would be happy trust me lol.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and jdb2 like this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    This system has just 3 phases for CPU. I do not know if you can seriously overdraw on that side for continuous load on CPU side without consequences. AW18 has 4 phases for CPU along with factory 3 pipe HS. As for MXM last time I remember Khenglish mentioned actual MXM slot on P870DM had 260W typical rating and 200W without issues on mobo FETs. I can pull upto 148W on GPU with 980M continuous without any issues except the 980M Blackscreen with the poor VRM components (yeah didn't mod the 980M MOSFETs) once it crossed 130W ish, also the GPU side circuitry is also meh I guess. It's built for 780M/880M lol but It's great to see 1070N MSI being handled well.

On top this motherboard has the PCH sitting directly beneath the GPU, the heat radiates a lot both will heat no matter what esp if you are using all the USB3.0 ports for continuous data transfers (Which my machine always does). So pushing over 120W+ on CPU with 140W on GPU continuous is a bit much I think, it's already over 24oW, with which this machine officially had shipped with a PSU. I do not think this motherboard hard cap of drawing over 240W is possible just like AW18 which cannot handle 980M OC + 4930MX, it also has that notorious FET blow up problem.

Papusan likes this.
  8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I have decided to move on from Laptops. A couple of dead pixels showed up on the replacement panel and I dont want to get a 4th panel.

Might be getting a couple of free curved monitors, got a free Model M keyboard (Unicomp), free Acer 144hz freesync 27" 1080p. The universe seems to be speaking lol

Probably tomorrow I will get started on parting it out. It was fun while it lasted !

Papusan likes this.
  9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    That's unfortunate bro and a blow to the community. My next machine is a desktop that's for sure. Ain't buying broken bs or the soldered trash these greedy OEMs are putting into esp the DCH driver disaster.

But I will not abandon this Alienware 17, the last socketed mobile CPU laptop with real SATA slots and can work as a portable powerhouse without any compromises plus it's a souvenir for a dear memory. The upgrade of Dellfranken Quadro-Geforce 1070 and 120Hz (already have it in box along with some extra spare parts for the machine) is pending along with 4930MX, will do it for sure and will run Win8.1 only or LTSC dualboot, 32GB RAM as well, I hope I can find a used 16GB G.Skill 2133MHz kit. Sadly the new RTX GPUs in HP Z-Book Laptop are using another mutated form factor with slight variation to the memory chips and other VRM components purposefully to lock the already dried up MXM3.0b secondary market but surprisingly come with a BIOS chip what a BS show, perhaps Ngreedia mandated the castration of the RTX core on that board with their post Falcon BIOS locks. The future of MXM3.0b is further grim, since DGFF is there and there is no possibility of that elusive P5000 MXM3.0b coming from Dell or that P5200 from HP. And last time I checked the Zotac and all those boards are using mutated MXM FF GPU cards. I think 1070 Dell is end of line for the MXM3.0b, It's a great choice as well except for lack of SLI and has 980M x2 performance.

Papusan likes this.
  10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah between that and trash nvidia drivers I just decided to opt for an SFF machine that I can still take with me when I eventually move, probably cost me a bit via plane but for the next 6 months I need more consistency to produce the results I need.

The Ranger is the best laptop I have ever owned, learned a lot from it, Im just to the point where I need more consistent stability but the Ranger was a great stepping stone. I took 1-3rd place in 3d mark so Im happy with it.

IVHOTEP, Hirosake, MagicMike and 2 others like this.