Alienware 17 R5 (R1) BIOS Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Hirosake

Hirosake Guest

Reputations:
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    4.0Ghz should be obtainable on the 4930mx properly tuned but anything higher will require liquid metal typically and/or lapped heatsink

4810mq can technically clock that high as long as you avoid avx workloads

3. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Think thats a first for the name lol

The heatsink is only delaying the inevitable, it helps for short bursts though.

4+Ghz can be achieved on a 4900MQ, which is alot cheaper than a 49xxMX. At the same time, the Haswell UCode overclocking bug exists, allowing people to take a 4710MQ to 4ghz+.

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    It exists, but has been redacted by many sites for fear of Cease and desist.

The name is all accurate save for the R6 bit.

5. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi i did flash A16 i changed the service code too but now, i am getting 7 beeps

6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I have tried that a couple times with my 4720HQ and even with dumb things like +100mV voltage its never stable, even bumping it only up to 3.8Ghz all cores(with nets me around 820 CB R15 score IIRC) it works fine for 1/2h then starts lagging like hell and BSOD :(

7. Hirosake

Hirosake Guest

Reputations:
    @TheReciever

Its been a while...did you get a 4980hq?
    what happened?

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I run it in my t440p now since with it I cant post with the Ranger.

Another member here was helpful and injected crystalwell microcode but still couldnt get it to POST. The repackaged 4980hq doesnt output digital signals, not sure if that would prevent POST but maybe it is.

Hirosake likes this.
  9. jdb2

jdb2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 2018 Dell Alienware 17 R5 with an Intel Core-i9 8950HK CPU. I'd like to upgrade my laptop to 64GiB of RAM, but Dell has put a software lockout in the BIOS. I can run PassMark's MemTest86 and it shows 64GiB of RAM which I've run for multiple passes over many hours. Also, the 64GiB of RAM shows up in the BIOS. The problem is that Windows 10 won't boot and it will eventually bluescreen with some type of "watchdog timer violation" error. I was using the 32GiB Samsung SO-DIMMs, but perhaps this place has something that's compatible?

[​IMG]

As of now, I don't know what to do to get 64GiB of RAM in my machine. As I said, I've verified that the *hardware* supports the RAM ( see, eg. here ), but there seems to be a software lockout, put in place by Dell, into the UEFI BIOS. If there is anyone who has the time to help me and many other 17 R5 owners upgrade to 64GiB of RAM via a hacked BIOS, then I've be very grateful if that person could help, or at least give some advice :)

Thanks,

jdb2

References :

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/17-R5-64GB-of-RAM/td-p/7191340/highlight/true

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/9mpypk/64gb_ram_supported_by_alienware_17_r5_as_tested/

https://www.compuram.biz/memory/del...ries/17-r5/64gb-dual-channel-kit-2x-x9803.htm

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Wrong place for that.

This is for 17 R1 / M17x R5