Alienware 17 R5 (R1) BIOS Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Mar 12, 2017.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would this bios be able to bypass power restrictions on the 17r1? Apparently the mb can not ultilize more than 230w and will throttle even with a 330w psu. I get very slight cpu throttle with my 4930mx at 4.3ghz and my zotac 1070. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I didn't knew that AW17 had a hard lock on the Power like AW18 which cannot take more than 400W and useless when using 980M SLI + OCed Haswell, Are you sure about the max power limit on the mobo ? Did you measure the peak power pull using a UPS or any power supply source ? If that's the case, we are SOL there's no method that can bypass this lock afaik prolly from the software way. Need blueprints to mod the mobo or professional hacker like Svl7 to achieve this task, his Alienware 17 was the only machine which had a real Unlocked BIOS due to modified BIOS chip.

Plus this BIOS only does unlock the hidden options in the InsydeH20 BIOS. Same like the Alienware M17x R4 and M18x R2's Svl7 mods, but the recent progress on the M18x R2 with the help of Raidriar & Swick allowed to it get Maxwell support for non-UEFI BIOS option and a few other additions due to not being secure flash locked. Since this one has that secure flash I suspect we cannot modify the BIOS on that M18x R2 levels..& the power limit might be inside the EC which probably even without secure flash we cannot unlock..M18x R2 didn't had any power limits.

Makes me feel so bad when I recall about the Alienware M18x R2 vs the machines which came after her..not to even think about the current Alienware standards.

P.S - Since the 330W PSU capability of power delivery before tripping out iirc is around 400W and the 240W PSU could be over 280W and when we use the M17x R4 with an MSI 1070N + 3940XM the 240W PSU drops the GPU Firestrike scores and CPU/GPU utilization factor, So I'm guessing something might else be at play or the Ranger has a hard cap vs Voyager...

P.S 2 - "aw17 can not hold max clock more than 30sec when cpu is highly loaded if cache ratio is oced more than x40" this is the case, this is an issue with the AW17 Are you above that ?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Nomad likes this.
  3. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    I do not know for a fact. Loafer told me that there is a limit and I do see that my cpu throttles under load but only during demanding games and only slightly. it will drop from 4.3ghz to 3.0 for a split second then run as normal for a bit then repeat. my cache ratio is x39 in xtu. I assume it is something that is set in the bios. It seems to fit what dell decided to do with their machines but I don't know for certain. Under intense load my gpu will draw 110 watts and my cpu upwards of 85 to 90. but that is only in my osd. Total I am not sure. Ill see if I can find my outlet meter. I am going to be attempting a 1080 from a f5 in my 17 tomorrow and I will update on that in a thread I will make. I'll know for certain then.

Nomad, loafer987 and Ashtrix like this.
  4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    A14 finally maxed out !

Ashtrix likes this.
  5. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    I got the unlocked bios flashed today and it is awesome. I am a bit overwhelmed with options though. Does anyone have a good guide or starter tips?

6. blushfully

blushfully Newbie

Reputations:
    Surprised.
    What features are available in 'Unlocked BIOS'?
    Can you give me a screenshot?

7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Hey Mog, did you try this bios yet, any advice if it's workable ?

8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't have an R1 anymore :( , it was replaced by an R4 through warranty.

9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    @EepoSaurus

Did this bios resolve the potential power delivery issues you were having?

I am heavily weighing the Alienware 17 Ranger as a replacement to my m4600 and curious if a 330w PSU would be a viable option down the road after future upgrades and such

Also thank you @Ashtrix @Striker1234 for working together to make this result! Will donate for sure if I can get my hands on the AW17 Ranger.

Striker1234 likes this.
  10. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    There was never a board limitation. Turns out the bios has multiple bios limitations to throttle your cpu before due to power draw and not heat. I disabled c-states,aspm,bidirectional prochot and efficiency p-states in the unlocked bios. Also vr faults and efficiency. All this in combination with throttlestop made it so my cpu no longer throttles. But it is a long process of trail and error. The alienware 17r1 to me is the perfect laptop and fits my needs. I reccommend it.

Nomad, Striker1234, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  11. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for sharing!

That was essentially one of the last unanswered potential issue. Basically everything can be tuned on this machine with time and patience. I look forward to getting my hands on one in the near future.