Alienware 17 R5 (R1) BIOS Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello!

I have been working with @Ashtrix to have the best version of our Alienwares!, so talking about our model, we decide to have an unlocked BIOS.

So this time an expert support us to have this complete:

This is his email (if you wish donate):

pythonic2016@gmail.com

I'm sharing this if anyone wants to try it.

Note:
    Does anyone knows what settings to change in order to have the GPU FAN always on!

Please let us know what do you think

AND THE BIOS:
    *BIOS has been removed since some users were not changing the Service Tag.

If you are going to use the Javers updated version, change for your own ST.

Update the Service Tag is a MUST!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    @Papusan , @Nomad , @MahmoudDewy , @loafer987 , @MogRules & all Alienware 17 Ranger Owners..

Unleash your beast with this long awaited Unlocked A14 BIOS !! Use the same Sleep bug and flash & you can always roll back if you need any warranty support.

Much thanks to Striker for this, He has been really proactive for pushing the Zotac mod and this, +rep bud for the invaluable contribution.

- Remember this BIOS Mod is made for the Striker's 4940MX CPU so when you are flashing this onto your machine make sure you are doing an NVRAM reset first to let the BIOS settle for the default values for your CPU /RAM HW before it bricks itself upon changing the custom values, Make sure you know what you are tinkering with, NVRAM reset on these machines is a PITA.

OR

Please request the modder/hacker to do the same for you with a little of donation which keeps them pushing for this kind of work.

- Also I had requested another hacker to share his work on Techinferno for the support of this machine to host an Unlocked sBIOS, It was a month back. If anything comes up I'll keep it updated.

Below are some of the quick links for getting out most of your Alienware 17 R1 Ranger

- Cheatsheet for the Alienware 17 regarding Windows 10 / Pascal / Maxwell / Fan mod / EDID etc
    (The above linked site "TechInferno" has Crypto miner, It might infect your machines with malware, Caution Advised, risk. It has so much info please use AV if you want to use this site, thank you sorry for the trouble

I will try to move that info to NBR here, thank you for your understanding)

- Booting with Maxwell / Pascal without "FULL UEFI" without Dell's support is very hard unless someone ports the code from the Alienware 18 to the Alienware 17 like Swick did it for the M18x R2's updated Unlocked BIOS mod.

- A few more tips for this machine - Dolby driver, OC tips (old thread), Resource Index Mr. Fox, Win8.1+ DSE tips, Win8.x tweaks by Mr. Fox, Alienware 17 Teardown pics by Mr. Fox, Battery tip for maxing the life, Looking to mod the battery cells ?

- NVRAM reset Step by step by Mr. Fox

- Blackscreens - 980M ? (This thread has more useful info too which can help with other GPU upgrades or issues)

- 120Hz upgrade for Alienware 17 by Mogrules - A must if you want to run Pascal I suppose.

- Pascal MXM upgrades >> Quadro P5000 M17x R4 Upgrade (Should work with AW17 too but need 120Hz) / Zotac 1070 Upgrade / MSI 1070N upgrade

@Mr. Fox, @woodzstack & @svl7 finally the Alienware 17/18 got the unlocked BIOS thanks to the exploit in the secure flash lol.

Update #1
    Intel DPTF & the Custom Fan tuning via BIOS (Only for MX/ Extreme Unlocked CPUs)

Update #2
    Service Tag fix in case you already flashed the provided update by Striker instead of a personal BIOS mod

Update #3

Updated Intel Microcode (v22) BIOS, the effect on OC/UV isn't tested on this machine at the time of updating this. PLUS also how it fares vs the Microcode bug hack on Haswell is yet to be determined.

Update #4
    How to Recover from a "Corrupted BIOS" + Knowledge on Recovery BIOS defaults <- Very very Important. Please read you'll know what to do after performing this Recovery task without ending up with a GPU related Beep code, especially on a dGPU only machine.

note: this is different from the traditional NVRAM reset on Haswell Alienwares.

Update #5
    Updated Unlocked BIOS (A14+), New Year gift from @javers , Has nice updates for the 'BIOS Recovery' + a lot of stuff baked in. Check post for more juicy details.

Update #5.1
    As since the original zip isn't there with all files, Please use this zip (SHA -1 b08b095640236b52636078903f2034fc78e20d30) which has all the files required for the "bios.bin" unlocked BIOS flashing, make sure you extract the A14+ bios.bin to this zip contents and then copy all files to C:\ then proceed with the instructions below (posted from the original readme.txt file you can find in the zip)

Code:
    flashing:

use the Sleep Bug !
    Unpack the archive and copy the into C: HD root place !
    Then open Comand Promt with Admin Rights (CLI window C:\), put your laptop
    into Sleep Mode and then Wake-Up It, atger this execute these comands from
    CLI window :

fptw64 -f bios.bin -bios
    Note - this zip doesn't have bios.bin, please use the above update for the bios file.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Nomad, dzpliu, Vasudev and 10 others like this.
  3. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Holy crap that's awesome news guys! Amazing work!

Vasudev, Aroc, Ashtrix and 1 other person like this.
  4. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I will wait and see if someone manages to set custom fan profiles, since for me doing a NVRAM reset is horrific because I have ram modules on both sides of the mobo. So it really have to be worth it :D

Ashtrix and Striker1234 like this.
  5. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I already have it, but I do not know where to find that section, is DPTF Section?

6. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    The information that I could find on the AW18 forum is that even when you change the values, the actual fan behavior remains the same.

Striker1234 likes this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    MahmoudDewy likes this.
  8. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sorry. At the moment the risk of the nvram reset isn't worth the risk. Having to completely tear my laptop down is too much time I don't have at the moment if that worst case happens.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Striker1234 and Ashtrix like this.
  9. unreall

unreall Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone have try IT With a non mx CPU?

10. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Update on the BIOS thanks to @utumkodur for this.

Nomad and Striker1234 like this.