Alienware 17 R5 (Heatsink)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Striker1234, Sep 2, 2019.

?

Would you buy it?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2019.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know. This topic has been discussed here a few times. Shore scale. And that's why I don't like to take pads from TG or Alphacool. They are not so soft like pads from arctic.
    In Striker1234's post you can see that the new heatsink is fastened with screws and springs and i'm pretty sure that the springs has a lower pressure on the DIE and whole VRM than the normal R5 heatsink.

You know my results and temps from the R5 heatsink. This is only possible by reduce the gap between DIE and heatspreader to a minimum. With soft pads is that easier then with hard one.

2. Maxou200

Maxou200 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so 1mm copper shim and 1.5mm of pads

Personally i think the contact with the CPU Die will be way better. One of the hole for the GPU can share pressure for both CPU and GPU. Also M.2 screws are very bad to make pressure can't tight them very well that why most of GPU use spring screws for the GPU die pressure.

Also you can take a look to the cpu copper plate there a little raise maybe around 1mm thick. Finally the contact will be more uniform and better.

By the end of the next week i will be fixed when mounted and tested!

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Sk0b0ld

Reputations:
    But for overall-performance you need proper VRM cooling, too. Very easy to test with some benchmarks (and 800MHz drops).
    I'm waiting for some HWinfo logs. If the results look promising, I maybe will order the heatsink, too. We will see.

Rei Fukai, c69k and hans12321 like this.
  4. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi buddy, could you walk me through how youd assess VRM cooling? A while back I got very repeatable crashes when exiting games and benchmarking applications, when the CPU and GPU were lowing their clock speeds. I figured that this might be due to insufficient VRM cooling but couldnt work out how to assess that. I redid all the pads anyway and it didnt fix it, but a reinstall of the OS did the trick so maybe it wasnt VRM. But id still like to test this.

5. Sk0b0ld

Reputations:
    I have my own tests for this, which I always use under always the same conditions after trying a new mod. For the testing i like to use the Final-Fantasy Benchmark (in maximum 1080p). This benchmark goes 7 minutes and creates load GPU und CPU, similar to a real game. Cinebench R15/20 is useless for that. It's simply too short and says nothing about your cooling- or overall system-performance. For the second test i always use FC5, a real-world test and log all values with Hwinfo and compare these with the old ones.

I've a good example. We had in the german forum a user with an R5, which is water-cooled. He did the same benchmark, but he only reached 16.627 points. I reached with my air-cooled R5 18.302 points. If you compare the hwinfo-logs, you know why. His VRM-cooling is too weak and the cpu-clock drops often on 800MHz. Typical sign that the VRM gets too hot and throttles. -Pic-, -Story-

Water-Cool.jpg

Yes, his temps are slighty better, (maybe he also use a notebook-cooler additionally to the water-cooling, not sure), but the overall-performance is worse. Good temps on CPU and GPU alone aren't everything. Same for the full-copper heatsink here, you need good temps on CPU and GPU and a decent VRM cooling. Then you can run your CPU at these clock-speeds, even higher. My 8950HK I validated @ 52x on all core (signature) and max in idle @ 54x (possible but unstable). That's why VRM-Cooling are so important. With thermal pads, which are 3mm and more it will be very difficult. In my thermal pad layout i use (for the important components) only 0,5, 1,0 and 1,5mm soft arctic pads.

54x.jpg

R5 MB Details.jpg

WLP R5 Sko.jpg

6. Maxou200

Reputations:
    Received my heatsink today... Totally warper and 2 heatpipe totally bent....

Attached Files:

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is wicked, thanks man! I have a 13 r3 but reckon I can work out whats what based on the 17 r5

8. Sk0b0ld

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, Striker's heatsink looks not so much better.

Strikers HS.jpg

I guess it's common problem when you try to remove the aluminum part or the fan-cover from the heatpipes. I tried this on my old R4 heatsink once. It's extremely difficult to separate both parts from each other.

Same on the ebay-hs:

hs2.jpg

sure, best upgrade ever.....

I did the same experience back then on my R4 (i7-7820HK, GTX 1070). They (another chinese shop) sent me a bent heatsink. I sent the crap back, but the seller didn't refund my money. He said, he didn't receive the item, but 2 weeks later is my broken heatsink in the shop again. -Link-
    No chance to get the money back.

HS01.jpg

HS02.jpg

HS03.jpg

Fortunately, at this time Dell helped me out and sent me new heatsink (guarantee). One of the main reasons why i buy my notebook by Dell, but this is a different story. After the bad experience with the aftermarket heatsink i decided to build/ improve my own heatsinks.

9. Maxou200

Reputations:
    Ya but the initial pic from ebay was that... Do you see a bent heatpipe on that? i dont....

Attached Files:

10. Maxou200

Reputations:
    there a vapor chamber in those heat pipe... if you bent them i dont think the job will be well done no?