Alienware 17 R5 (Heatsink)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Striker1234, Sep 2, 2019.

?

Would you buy it?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2019.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hans12321

hans12321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So you got high enough clocks now in aida? :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good info Rei !!!

Please how K5PRO looks after disassembly, especially after longer time? Could not find any info/nor videos on it. I expect it to be like silicone for windows, hoping it gets harder than toothpaste.
    Also, when removing does it come off in one piece or much cleaning is needed?

I have been completely ignoring K5PRO, basically making fun of it, but after reading that YOU use it (always good posts) I consider it to be a good solution. THX

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. DESENTER

DESENTER Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Already ok? I have i7 8750h 4.1hz, if i use load test in aida64 processor and video card together my processor has 3.2hz. Without video card 3.6hz about.

4. DESENTER

Reputations:
    I have experience with k5pro after one month, after disassembly k5pro look good how thermal paste. But if you want clean your plate i think it will be some problem, because it is paste.

c69k likes this.
  5. DESENTER

Reputations:
    Not plate, motherboard.

c69k likes this.
  6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanx, so there was clearly contact between heatsink and components after disassembly?

I mean K5 PRO did not 'melt away' and lose contact?

7. DESENTER

Reputations:
    Not, contact was good, i put normal size this gel. If you want faster disassembly k5pro good choice but if you has free time you can put thermal pad. My choice is k5pro

c69k and Rei Fukai like this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After time it becomes like window silicon indeed, but a little but less viscous. Every time I remove my heatsink it reminds me of that gum you can use to measure/check fitment.

Because it becomes a gum like structure, the cleaning up process is very straightforward. They come loose like big pieces of gum and if everything was compressed well, you can re-use it with a small fresh layer applied to let it cure to the right fitment of your heatsink.

It has been doing me well since I've got my 17 R4 and now with the R5 I was able to eliminate VREL on the GPU completely.

Now with this new heartsink I have to rebalance it again and apply K5 to keep my VRM Temps down again.

c69k likes this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your voltages probably. Are you running static voltage or adaptive, what is your undervolt, and which components did u undervolt (core, cache, system agent etc..)

Is OC turned on in the bios, what are your powerlimits HWinfo measures and what are your temps/benchmark voltage your CPU pulls

10. abysabirah

abysabirah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are you using K5Pro on all components? Previously i was convinced that its better to use K5Pro on components that are not that critical to cool but on VRMs (all black ones) to use good thermal pad (because it has way better thermal conductivity than K5Pro) but now im thinking maybe to just use K5Pro on all components because precise fitment way more important than thermal conductivity (with those thermal pads you need to find perfect fit so it compress enough to make good contact with components but at the same time not causing bad contact with GPU and CPU dies). You eliminated VREL issue on GPU but does any of your CPU cores drops to 800 Mhz occasionally? I believe it happens when there is bad contact with CPU VRMs not completely sure though.

dmanti, Rei Fukai and c69k like this.