Alienware 17 R5 (Heatsink)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Striker1234, Sep 2, 2019.

?

Would you buy it?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2019.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Carillo Gallardo

Carillo Gallardo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, I think we could have a problem with the spring screws. About two weeks after mounting the heatsink, I noticed that the temperatures (cpu side) rose to the point of being more or less the ones that I had with the original heatsink. Today I checked and found that some screws, which I had previously tightened to the maximum, had come loose. I tried to use the original screws, but they have the head too small compared to the heatsink holes and, also, when I tightened it to the maximum the notebook did not boot giving an error (alien head blinking red two times and blue one time). I put back the spring screws tightening them to the maximum, but the temperatures have not changed. Basically those fantastic temperatures obtained at the beginning have disappeared.

In my opinion we should find some screws, possibly with washers, without a spring, similar to the original ones but with a wider head. And then find the right level of pressure. Tips on where to find screws that could fit? Something similar to the spring screws, but without spring and shorter.

Thanks, bye!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Striker1234 likes this.
  2. hans12321

hans12321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had some other screws from previous graphics card disassemblies that fit. But for me the original screws work flawlessly too.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

3. Carillo Gallardo

Reputations:
    Ok, I tried with different screws and washers, but the results are always the same: it doesn't boot because of too much pressure or it boots but it gives me the same higher temperatures than the first installation. At this point I'll try to be patient and I'll check everything again, thermal paste and thermal pads. Bye.

Edit 11/12/2019
    Ok, solved. I hope once and for all. New thermal pads and new thermal paste and the very low temperatures obtained with the first heatsink installation have returned.
    As for the screws, the ones that turned out to be perfect for me were the M2x4, with two washers (one M2 and one slightly larger, M3). With these screws you get a good compromise between strong pressure (the screws can be tightened to the maximum and cannot be tightened more with this measurement) and the torsion of the motherboard, without boot problems. That being said, even the original spring-loaded screws are fine, just make sure they don't come loose over time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Striker1234 likes this.
  4. Marksmans05

Marksmans05 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would you be willing to share your temperature results as well as CPU clock rate? Did you experience any Throttling? What were you able to overclock to? I'm assuming you have the i9-8950hk I know some people have the i7.

P.S. Would you be willing to show/share a diagram or picture of your thermal pad layout and the sizing you used, as well as the brand (since some are softer than others)

I just really want to see what this i9 can really handle without thermal throttling and the stock vapor chamber heatsink doesn't really cut it. My clock speeds are basically at stock and i'm running an undervolt of -.100 but under load i thermal throttle like crazy, and this is after repasting with thermal grizzly kyro and thermal pads from arctic.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  5. Carillo Gallardo

Reputations:
    Sorry mate, I can't share anything because I didn't take any photos. It was a complicated period, I had to change the motherboard by spending a lot of money and I had to disassemble and reassemble the notebook several times for various reasons. Therefore I have never been in the mood to take photos. By the way, I don't have the i9 CPU, but the i7-6820hk. Mine is a 17 r4. So I can't help you. But I can tell you that now the hottest sensor reaches a maximum of 62° after hours of playing with undervolt -151v. I then did an overclock test by adding x4 to each multiplier (so maximum 4.0ghz) without undervolt and I reached 82 °. With the undervolt (I don't remember how much though) I went down to 78° (always on the hottest sensor). As for the thermal pads, I used all sizes, from 1mm to 3mm. Sorry but I can't be more precise than that.

6. Marksmans05

Reputations:
    No worries, you've provided more than enough information and I really appreciate it. Ill be sure to get thermal pads in various thicknesses and work on getting the balancing just right. If you would be willing to provide any tips in thermal pad sizing/placement please feel free to share. Also what thermal paste did you use? I originally planned on using Thermal Grizzly Kryo on my system but I may end up using Conductonaut on the CPU side and Kryo on the GPU side since the CPU temps are significantly higher than my GPU temps.

7. Carillo Gallardo

Reputations:
    As for the thermal paste I used Phobya Nanogrease Extreme, which is a thick paste, similar to the IC Diamond 7 that I have always used and which now I can no longer find in Europe. As for the thermal pads, softness is more important than the measurements, make sure you buy soft ones.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can see my Fire Strike temps...

I'm super satisfy with the result.

Attached Files:

9. Marksmans05

Reputations:
    Wow amazing temps, if you don't mind me asking what thermal pads and paste did you use? Also what clock rate are you getting for the i9-8950hk on all cores? Are you using an undervolt?

10. Monsignor_Eduardo

Monsignor_Eduardo Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok just bought one it since my temps are a mess
    [​IMG]
    I repasted and ducked the pads layout. The gpu temps are ok at least.
    Update 18/01/2020
    O boys 64 cpu
    [​IMG]

Curse words

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Striker1234 likes this.