Alienware 17 R5 (Heatsink)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Striker1234, Sep 2, 2019.

?

Would you buy it?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2019.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Send me a link for the stock one I will ask him.

2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll try to find it but atm it might be too new. It's tongfang QC7 if you can find it. I'm asking some owners for the heatsink serial number but I'll have to wait

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Without the balance of the shared heatpipes the gpu wouldnt never be adequately cooled.

4. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder is Cicichen has the backside VRAM heatsink for a RTX 2080 for the A51-M? I know a lot of people want them...

5. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I got my heatsink today. Overall, condition was good, but I did have one of the fan standoffs on the left fan (when the laptop is open laying in front of you) that was broken out of the box and the fan shroud itself was a bit damaged. It looked like that side of the box might have taken a hit. I got it straightened out more or less and got it all put together, and so far results are good. Hottest CPU core is down from 100 to 82, and GPU temps are about the same. I'm pretty happy with that given that my main issue was the CPU temps anyway. I'm curious to see how it holds up over the next month or so. Even with the stock heatsink I could get good temps right after a repaste, but after a while the paste would squeeze out due to the uneven pressure and temps would soar. Hopefully this fixes that issue.

Well, after some additional testing, the CPU temps are still doing ok, mid 80's or so tops, but the GPU is going up to 90, which is higher than before. not sure what's causing that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2019 at 6:40 AM
    Striker1234 likes this.
  6. Maxou200

Maxou200 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Probably too thick thermal pads.

I Dont know if you used the pads he insttaled on the heatsink but the layout isnt good. Too thick or too thin.

7. TriBeard

Reputations:
    Yeah, I just used it like it was shipped. What's the recommended/optimal layout?

8. TriBeard

Reputations:
    any update as to the recommended thermal pad configs? I don't want to just start taking some off and crack a die.

hans12321 likes this.
  9. TriBeard

Reputations:
    Well, I got impatient lol. I went back in and took off the second layer of pads across the board, CPU and GPU side. I also swapped out the thicker pad for the PCH and I think one other (they're obviously thicker) with one of the thinner pads that I took off the double stacks. I was very careful to evenly tighten down the heatsink so as to not bind it up in any way that might put too much stress on anything internal.

I haven't tested it much, but just anecdotally, I went from mid 80's on the CPU and pegged at 90 on the GPU in Apex to holding steady at 79-80 on the GPU and in the 70's most of the time on the cpu. I'd get some short spikes into the low 80's and then some drops into the upper 60's as well, which seemed to be related to the fans ramping up and down. Overall, it seems much better but I'll post back with any additional results after I've used it a bit more. If anyone else has recommendations about their thermal pad layout it'd be interesting to compare notes.

10. hans12321

hans12321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Currently setting up mine. [​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

c69k likes this.