Alienware 17 R5 GTX 1070 MXM 3.1B

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are right is the AW17 R1, but in México this comes as M17x R5.
    And about the FAN control, I have to do it manually with HWiNFO64...

I hope to find the way to fix it....

jaybee83 and loafer987 like this.
  2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    good to see the zotac card sporting the proper boost clocks with the MSI vbios :) FS graphics score also looks very promising, me likes :D

Striker1234 likes this.
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    unlikely, must it is something to do with how the card interacts with the EC in the Alienware 17. Some cards did not spin fan at all in some systems, ex: Clevo 8970M in M18x R1 or sometimes it forces max fan (ex: clevo 8970M in M15x).

this is a hardware thing, no way around it other than HWinfo. Strange though, nVidia cards used to play nice with all ECs. never had an nvidia card that didn't enable native fan control. Pascal has thrown everything out the window

ChanceJackson and Striker1234 like this.
  4. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Everything seems in order, just monitor your temps and enjoy your new machine :D

Striker1234 and Ashtrix like this.
  5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Yeah they are good for the first run but due to the low TGP of this MXM3.1B card It's at 15K. Actual Clevo 1070 should score at 17-18K - Firestrike Standard. That's why We need the power pull from the RTSS/HWInfo monitoring during the FS Ultra benchmark to know what's this card TDP - Also check for any Perf. Cap reasons while you bench or game on GPU-Z

Also sent you a PM regarding the EC. Hope you clear it out, let us know what happens, I have a feeling that the Fans are behaving just like with Maxwell GPUs, Hope it's the case..And enjoy the beast ;) !!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Striker1234

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your help!!!

My next goal is to design a new heatsink from scratch all of cooper with 5 or 6 heatpipes to OC this card.

MahmoudDewy, Ashtrix and jaybee83 like this.
  7. encor50

encor50 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    can we get only the card from Zotac ?
    and how much would it cost ?
    thanks

8. Striker1234

Reputations:
    I will also contact Zotac to buy another card maybe the 1060 since the zbox does not work with the 970M, or without mxm card... sad.

ChanceJackson and jaybee83 like this.
  9. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I remember when I saw the benchmarks of the Zotac mini PC it scored in the 15k range. So I believe his score is pretty good considering that he is getting same performance as out of the box Zotac.

Regardless of what the MSI/Clevo cards can do, I would still the little bit less performance of the Zotac over the chassis work needed to run MSI cards.

jaybee83, Ashtrix and Striker1234 like this.
  10. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Zotac doesn't sell standalone cards, they are not allowed to by contract with their supplier...

The reason you didn't get a picture on your internal screen is not the vBIOS itself but the header data which is build into the Zotac BIOS instead the GPU vBIOS in order to keep people from using it in other shells. HP does the same to their MXM cards.
    Also Zotac's MXM cards are targeted at lower TDP, hence the standard form factor.
    e.g. their 1070 is designed for 90W versus the 115W of MSI and Clevo MXM models.
    Not sure abut their 1080...
    You should be fine with the MSI vBIOS, but make sure to cool those MOSFET's properly and consider adding the 3 missing ones.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    ajc9988, TomJGX, i_pk_pjers_i and 7 others like this.