Alienware 17 R5 GTX 1070 MXM 3.1B

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Striker1234, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for testing anyway @EepoSaurus !

2. some chill

some chill Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the alienware 17, the model with the i7 - 4710MQ PGA, and MXM module 880m so I already have the 240w PSU. I purchased the 1060 as a forced upgrade, the 880m seemed to have died.

What are the steps for getting the 1060 working in this model? Its a very new type of upgrade, so there is mixed info on what to do. I know that I needed to disable driver signing, which I did, but the part where I need to impliment the nvdmi.txt file I get lost.

3. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you buy the card from Eurocom? If you did they provide complete upgrade package with drivers, installation support etc included. If you didn't buy from them you can still request support at extra charge.

sicily428 likes this.
  4. some chill

some chill Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I bought off ebay store "razors edge" by eurocom.

5. some chill

some chill Newbie

Reputations:
    Any detailed guide on modifying the bios file hex with the correct service tag?

6. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That depends on the 1060 you bought. If you got MSI's 1060 MXM module, all you have to do is mod the Nvidia drivers to force them to install. Here is a link to instructions for that:
    http://null-bin.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

MSI's MXM modules have historically been PNP with Alienwares, which is why a lot of people prefer buying MSI's parts. I believe the 1060 Eurocom sells is in fact the MSI variant.

7. some chill

some chill Newbie

Reputations:
    I would be safe proceeding assuming its an MSI card then.

This laptop had a failed GPU previously - 880m - is that going to cause any roadblocks? I assume it maybe needed to enable Optimus?

8. some chill

some chill Newbie

Reputations:
    I am running a fresh installation of windows 10 1709, and the card is showing up as "3D video controller" - shouldnt it show as "NVIDIA GTX 1060" with a warning /!\ thing next to it? like it does in the guide you linked?

9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In device manager, it should show up as either a 3D video controller or a microsoft basic display adapter. It'll show up as "NVIDIA GTX 1060" after driver installation. There is nothing wrong with your 1060 :D.