Alienware 17 R5 , 7 beeps of deaths but works??

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alikabir84, Dec 25, 2018.

1. alikabir84

alikabir84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have this strange issue , started a week back where my Led would intermittently shutdown and then the unit will power off soon after. Then when I reboot, it will sound a 7 beep code and then continue till I manually power off. I did some research and 7 beep means a faulty CPU or motherboard "BUTT" it works from time to time. I can power this in the morning works and dies either instantly or would carry on for 8 to 12 hours before the problem occurs again. I have to point out, in December of 2016 my GPU 880M died and was shorting the motherboard . I removed the external GPU and the machine is been working on the built in intel GPU ever since.
    I even did a ePSA pre-Boot system assessment test and it cleared all, that took a while to complete and didn't shutdown during any stress tests.

What I would like to know is , is this the CPU acting Up?, is it the motherboard ( some component heating up). Has anyone encountered this problem and were successful in solving it.

Specs:
    Alienware 17 R1 purchased in 2014 July.
    Core I7 4710MQ
    16 GB Hynix 1600Mhz
    1 TB Western Digital Blue
    512 SSD Crucial MX100
    880m gtx 8gb ( 2014-2016, shorting the board, placing it in the MXM slot laptop wont even start)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Buy another motherboard, yours is on its way out.

alikabir84 likes this.
  3. alikabir84

alikabir84 Newbie

Reputations:
    :D Thought so.

4. xKilXlerx

xKilXlerx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I do have a similar problem but mine does not really post, all time 7 beeps, even with a spare motherboard. I replaced it with a temporary cpu and now i have no more problem.

alikabir84 likes this.
  5. alikabir84

alikabir84 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am leaning towards the motherboard rather the CPU. I am running the ePSA pre-Boot system assesment test again right now and its stress testing the CPU and other components , and I am sure it will clear that but as soon as it boots to windows it shuts down either within a minute or last 3Hrs which it did before, then started again with shutting down and beeping 7 times. I am compelled to try the nonsensical Blanket fix see if that helps.

Completed all stress test booting to widows now.

6. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Smone please correct the title from "R5" to "R1".

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    It's known as R5 in various continents.

NA it's R1 though

alikabir84 likes this.
  8. alikabir84

alikabir84 Newbie

Reputations:
    When I bought it, the listing on amazon said R5 also tired changing it but there is no option to change the title. Unless I have missed some setting.

9. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's either called m17x r5 or AW 17 r1, not AW 17 r5, that's the 2018 model. Just a bit misleading though, not that important.

alikabir84 likes this.
  10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    A bit, but clarified in the OP with a purchase date, there was no 8th gen anything in 2013-2014