Alienware 17 R4 GTX1080 in game random Stutter & Freeze

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 6, 2017.

?

Does your AW17R4 GTX1080 suffer from stuttering when playing games?

1. Yes, I have the OC vBIOS

2. No, I have the OC vBIOS

3. Was stuttering so I downgraded to old vBIOS

4. Was stuttering but I manage to fix it

5. No, my stuttering is still persistent

6. Yes, stuttering even with old vBIOS

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OWNORDISOWN

OWNORDISOWN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, that would be a good video. I probably could do that once I have tested some more models including the new GTX ones. I sent a mail to Dell the other day saying that I refuse to buy any more to review . I have bought 12 in the past 2.5 years just to review as they don't send me review units. No response from them.

alexnvidia, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But they will give out review units to other YT channel who praise them. No point buying Dell PCs.... Rather Clevo and others should be given a chance.
    They don't like critics or bad PR. They always want to hear things even its non-existent.

Papusan likes this.
  3. prestona

prestona Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did Alienware ever fix this stuttering issue with the 17 R4?

4. Evertbie

Evertbie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had this issue and in the end only after a motherboard replacement it went away...

5. martyr01

martyr01 Newbie

Reputations:
    After 3 engineer call outs, ruling out mb issues and trying three different heat sinks, adding thermal padding I bought and repasting the problem finally went away. The a few months ago a power component on the mb broke and dell decided to fix it no questions asked even though I was out of warranty....sounds great right? Nope, got it back seeming fine, didn't play any games for a few months. Just tried some non-taxing games and lo and behold the stutter is back and now I'm out of warranty and need to start all over again. FFS.

6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you an enthusiast with a lot of spare cash, or are you doing this as a business?

Your issue then sounds like a heat/thermal issue ? Is anything else being affected at the same time, eg do you get GPU or CPU throttles?

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I fix it for you:)

8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did not watch it. Can't stand him. What did he say? :)

FWIW my favourite youtuber says he's struggling to pay for his daily meals - 00:39

9. martyr01

martyr01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, its the classic issue as describe here with all the standard symptoms. It was fixed by getting the 2nd edition heat sink, seating it properly, adjusting thermal padding for better contact and repasting.

My situation now: A power component failed on the mobo in march. Dell recognised the fault and said no problem, we'll collect it and fix it. Great. Sent it off, they replaced the mobo, I got it back and everything seemed hunky-dory. Fast forward to now and I finally have some time to game a little after a few months. To my dismay the original stutter is now back again with my machine in the same broken state I first received it from the factory (I'm assuming once again due to their ****ty assembly).

I contacted them about it yesterday and was told that since a) my warranty has now expired and since b) I did not detect the problem they caused within the 3 month repair warranty period, I am now left with two options. I can either look and pay for a third party and hope they can do a good job, or I can pay dell to take it, examine it and then pay for the parts.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know how I can get to a senior alienware support person in the uk? To me this is utterly ridiculous. Like many of you I received a broken machine to begin with, dell acknowledged fault and I had multiple engineer callouts until it was fixed (what fixed it was making him read this thread several times until he acted on it). Now I send it in for an unrelated issue and they literally break my computer all over again and somehow have the nerve to tell me I have to pay them to fix it. This is really taking the piss.

10. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you want things done properly, do it yourself. and since your warranty is over, you dont have other choice