Alienware 17 R4 GTX1080 in game random Stutter & Freeze

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 6, 2017.

?

Does your AW17R4 GTX1080 suffer from stuttering when playing games?

1. Yes, I have the OC vBIOS

2. No, I have the OC vBIOS

3. Was stuttering so I downgraded to old vBIOS

4. Was stuttering but I manage to fix it

5. No, my stuttering is still persistent

6. Yes, stuttering even with old vBIOS

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Taran Peterson

Taran Peterson Newbie

Reputations:
    Don’t know if this will help anyone or not, but I’ve been struggling with this annoyance for a few months now and it’s been rather frustrating. A three-thousand dollar laptop that won’t work? ********.

Anyway, been following multiple threads online (this one included) and updated all of my drivers and flashed my BIOS to the most current version. After doing so, still no fix. FINALLY I remembered seeing someone mentioning something about a “fall sensor” and the laptop needing to sit flat. Reluctantly I tried one last time on a flat surface (granted it wasn’t dramatically slanted before) and successfully played Dying Light at max graphics and Final Fantasy 15 at max graphics, stutter free for around 4-5 hours. Did that yesterday for the first time, then again today to recreate. I’m a little bummed that my expensive “top of the line” laptop is really THAT finicky, but I am stoked that I can actually play my games now. Hope it works for others!

Happy gaming!

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can uninstall the kionix free fall sensor if you want.

oSChakal, Taran Peterson and Vasudev like this.
  3. Taran Peterson

Taran Peterson Newbie

Reputations:
    I figured there was a way, just haven’t looked too much into it yet. Has anyone tried uninstalling the sensor to fix the stuttering issue?

So far my rig has been stutter free for the past few days while being on a flat surface.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    A laptop should be able to be elevated with a notebook cooler without run into stutters or freezes. The free fall sensor shouldn't be that sensitive. We don't talk about a desktop who is tethered to a dekstop table 24/7.
    Why should this be needed for a laptop? Nope, He or Dell need to find the underlying problem. If the notebook work as intended in all other types task with the kionix free fall sensor, You should look elsewhere.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    well i never had issues with the freefall sensor and i am not always using it level and i have zero stuttering. Not sure what the exact purpose of the freefall sensor is because mechanical harddisks have a sensor built in as well.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its strange though, the freefall sensor should not act up if the laptop is stables. Doesnt matter if it is level or not.

7. InvoluntorySoul

InvoluntorySoul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    didn't know that was possible, did you put tape around the LM?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    my laptop is elevated at an angle with a cooler master U3 24x7. no issues at all

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. thank_you_Taran_Peterson

thank_you_Taran_Peterson Newbie

Reputations:
    for around six month ive been suffuring from stutter and frezzes. cant play my games ,I put my money on this and cant do sh*t with it.
    I opened it repate with 4 difrent thermal pastes...nothing happen still the same problem.
    today I listed it for sale...I was hoping for half the price

then u came with the simplest solution.. I said what the heck lets try it ....AND GUESS WHAT!!!! ITS WORKED LOOOOL WTF!!!

SIX MONTHS I was using it for youtube and web browsing haha

thank you taran Peterson.

I don't care why its need to be on flat surface.im just happy that's now I can use my laptop the way it meant to be

my English bad sorry,i felt that I need to say thank u.thats all.

UjinKuzmenko and Vasudev like this.
  10. blueoval24

blueoval24 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hate to bump an old thread but I am now dealing with this issue. I bought my rig (7820HK GTX1080 with QHD..etc) last June and immediately re-pasted with LM and have not really had any issues with temps (79c max on CPU and 65c Max on GPU). Early this year Ive been noticing some freezing going on and finally decided to do something about, so I repasted AND repadded again.
    Although the temps are still great, the stuttering is still there. Since my premium warranty end soon, I have contacted dell to see what they can provide for a solution. After having me turn on OC Level three and trying again (lol) still stutters and they will be calling in an hour to move forward.
    My question is, was there any confirmation of a new revision MB that helped alleviate this issue?

For reference, here is a video clip of my stutter issue (occurs at 00:26, 00:52, 01:16, 01:50, and 02:33)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jNf3gzdHF2-SNJ2Fm6aUBPkmuGx0fc7v/view?usp=sharing

And here is a screen of my current temps (does not show Core 0 due to window placement but it is at 75C)

EDIT: trouble adding image will try again later.
    CPU Temps <76c
    GPU Temp 65c
    PCH Temp 71c

Last edited: May 23, 2018