Alienware 17 R4 GTX1080 in game random Stutter & Freeze

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 6, 2017.

?

Does your AW17R4 GTX1080 suffer from stuttering when playing games?

1. Yes, I have the OC vBIOS

2. No, I have the OC vBIOS

3. Was stuttering so I downgraded to old vBIOS

4. Was stuttering but I manage to fix it

5. No, my stuttering is still persistent

6. Yes, stuttering even with old vBIOS

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just suggested best option...and that You get what You paid for with Your money...
    But we live in world where almost everybody will (try to) scam You...

Papusan likes this.
  2. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Youre on the right track mate but solving this isn't easy and may take several attempts (on one unit it took me four attempts, on several others I can get it in first or second attempt now).

You must not have ANY gaps in any of the VRMs or MOSFETS so make sure by shining torch light, wiggling pads with tweezers, checking for imprints, dry fitting with pads on chips, using fresh squishy Arctic pads only not fujipoly, fill any tiny gaps with k5 pro paste not another pad.

The reason your GPU temp has increased is because by adding more pads you've now managed to push the heatsink away from the GPU a tiny amount making the paste on it less efficient, you need to scrap those pads and start again following iunlocks guide to the letter with the new squishy pads (also ignoring 1 pad in the guide which is 0.5mm when it should be 1) and then add any tiny pads where needed to chips after dry fitting first. The heatsink balancing shape is also so important too!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

c69k and Vasudev like this.
  3. JJv1990

JJv1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, so i recently purcharse my new AW 17 R4 with i7-7820HK with GTX 1080 but the problem is i'm having a stuttering during 15-30 mins of gameplay in Overwatch. Should I install an old vBios like everyone of you suggested? or repad and repaste it? I don't have any experience in opening a computer before and I'm afraid I can't send this one to Dell U.S. to fix this for me cause I live here in the Middle East, so it sucks I have to do everything here alone to fix this issue. And can anyone of you post an instruction how to install the old vBios? I don't have any idea how to do it. Thanks.

4. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    cant believe this nonsense is still going on even till this day. goes to show no QC work done at all at factory level.

read opening thread. installing old vbios is not the solution.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try opening up on the bottom, and press gently on the heatsinks all around were the vrm is suppose to be. Mine was doing that when they replaced the MOBO. I read that the vrms arent touching, so if you press down it should touch and not overheat.

6. JJv1990

JJv1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe I'll do a repaste and repad for this thing. My CPU temp is running at around 98c, with undervolting at -0.130 V, it runs at 93c. When I added some rubber feet from the bottom, my CPU temp goes 68c max on Destiny 2, which means all that it needs is a cooling pad or any sort of thing that elevates and allow air to go easily at the bottom. Guess I have no choice but to prepare myself and do the repasting and repadding myself, I've read alexnvidia and iunlock's thread so that would be my best guide. And can I ask which thermal pad is better? Fujipoly or Arctic cooling? I have no idea what is "6w/mk" or "11w/mk" on those things.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    If you are in Dubai take it to Saba Computers in Computer Plaza and speak to Houssam he can help you do this he knows his stuff very well

8. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yea mine was in the mid 80s gaming, but when they replaced the motherboard, I had the tech use some kryonaut, i game in the 60s now.

9. JJv1990

JJv1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh, I live here in Qatar, so I will do the repasting / repadding alone, I just have to be very careful on this. There is sure some technician, but I'm afraid they don't know what their doing and end up breaking some stuff.

I hope I don't have that motherboard issue. I was also planning on using kryonaut, it may be safer than liquid metal. Is 1 gram of thermal paste enough for CPU and GPU? And what thermal pad did you use? Fujipoly or Arctic cooling?

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Kryonaut is the worst paste