Alienware 17 R4 GTX1080 in game random Stutter & Freeze

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 6, 2017.

?

Does your AW17R4 GTX1080 suffer from stuttering when playing games?

1. Yes, I have the OC vBIOS

2. No, I have the OC vBIOS

3. Was stuttering so I downgraded to old vBIOS

4. Was stuttering but I manage to fix it

5. No, my stuttering is still persistent

6. Yes, stuttering even with old vBIOS

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Often it's fragmentation if it's at the start of a game, snags during loading, when it's in the middle of game and a big snag before loading a level or continuing into a non-loaded area of the map, the HDD time to "wake up" or unpark the heads and read will be the problem.

So defrag, or move it to an SSD where there is no such problems.

If you experience lag mid game then try quiethdd, and disable through it's systray app after boot. It only works on one hdd. There are other such tools out there like Crystaldiskinfo/mark(?), google shows some helpful stuff, try modifying the search for more recent stuff. I haven't needed a fix for a while since moving to SSD's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hdd+lag+fix

It could be a disk problem too, so when you get a chance schedule a boot time disk check for the HDD if it's the boot drive, or do it while all programs are unloaded from the drive running Windows.

There are WD / Hitachi / Seagate tools to unpark the heads and keep it from sleeping to, it's disk dependent, check for your model at the vendor site for support, load the app and see if there are any such options.

Again, I don't think it's the VRAM's as you describe it.

Altairwarz likes this.
  2. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you read my first post, i have had similar experience during my first attempt to plug all the gaps. i mean i was so sure everything is in place and there are no more gaps but the stutter came back even though much later into the game (30min). so i opened it up, check and recheck everything only to discover new gaps which i had previously missed. use the twizzer wiggling tip i mentioned in the post and in the video interview with @OWNORDISOWN . it has proven to be helpful for a few forum members.

what thermal pads are you using? i higlhly DO NOT recommend using those ultra high performance fujipoly 14 and above pads. not only are they expensive, they are flaky and do not return to shape after only one use. pretty useless to check for imprints because you do not know those prints are new or old. and do not follow the "famous" repaste guide blindly. that guide is riddled with inaccuracies and misinformation which got me into this stuttering nightmare in the first place.

if you insist on changing out your thermal pads, try arctic cooling 6. those are far better than fujipoly when it comes to fixing stuttering issues. in fact even stock pads can be better than fujipoly. be patient and be thorough. it took me at least 3-4 attempts to finally get it right despite being sure i had done it right the previous time. if all else failed, call dell.

c69k and Altairwarz like this.
  3. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    @Altairwarz , one area which can be easily missed and hard to check visually is the GDDR5X right under the copper heat pipes. if you notice, the copper heatpipe is actually higher than the metal plate covering the bottom GDDR5X. you'll understand what i mean once you disassembled it.

Altairwarz likes this.
  4. Altairwarz

Altairwarz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I understand what you are referring to in fact i used 1.5mm pads but couldn’t get any imprints I’ll try again and let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexnvidia likes this.
  5. W0lfenstein90

W0lfenstein90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @alexnvidia, I cover all the gaps, Now the stuttering goes away when the AW is flat but when i use a cooling pad it adds a little tilt and the computer starts to stutter again, do you have the same issue?

6. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    My laptop is tested with both cooling pad and flat surface. No problems for both. I'm using cooler master U3 full time without the fans. If your laptop is still stuttering, please triple check the thermal pads again. Maybe not sufficient contact. When u raised the laptop, air is no longer forced to flow over the power delivery circuit which caused them to overheat if not cooled properly.

W0lfenstein90 and Vasudev like this.
  7. W0lfenstein90

Reputations:
    Listen, I have disabled Turbo boost via Throttlestop with no UV and the problem is vanished. Absolutely zero stuttering, what in the world is going on? :D
    and BTW I've checked two times after I posted that previous post, everything is printed and nicely tight. Can you explain what's happening to my baby? lol

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why disable Turbo boost?

9. W0lfenstein90

Reputations:
    I was just trying to bring my temps down to minimum and that took care of 10C, haven't noticed any performance drops. Have you unlocked TDP limits after the vBIOS update? or does it just work flawlessly? I'm having a hard time here.

10. W0lfenstein90

Reputations:
    @alexnvidia Okay what I did is that I checked my thermal pads AGAIN. I then enabled Turbo Boost back and this time I Undervolted my machine (-100 mV). Then I fired up Ghost Recon Wildlands, gave me a solid performance up until now. is that a normal solution? or should i repad and repaste again with different kind of pads? Have you seen users getting this fixed by undervolting?

Vasudev likes this.