Alienware 17 R1 w/ 8 bit color 120Hz/5ms panel N173HHE-G32 Success!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Nomad, Jan 24, 2018.

?

Would upgrade to Innolux-Chimei 120Hz/5ms 8bit color 40pin Matte panel?

1. Yes!!! I want the N173HHE-G32 120Hz panel! Finally I don't need anything else from a laptop!

88.9%
  2. I'm just alright with my 5 year old 6bit TrueLife Glossy display.

5.6%
  3. Nahh I don't even need 120Hz, I'm just fine with factory stock 60Hz matte panel.

5.6%
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I think I had C2 first time around, this time I have a C1 revision just havent gotten around to installing it. Maybe this weekend.

2. answerz0r

answerz0r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let me know please how it went.

Meanwhile i will write here what i have done for now:
    -made some space for new panel and i fit it
    -installed new 441.41 drivers for gtx 980m
    -then i switched to PEG (by fn+f5) and i had to install drivers for it one more time because gpu in that mode have different hardware ID (didnt know it before)

Ofcourse im doing all these steps with my old screen connected by LVDS. Then im connecting new screen with n392w edp cable to edp port on MB. (Earlier removing from MB lvds cable).
    After that powering on my AW and i have for first: 5 beeps, after power off with next boot i have 8 beeps..
    No idea what im doing wrong.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  3. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got this one installed

Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 REV C3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-3-Compatible-Innolux-N173HHE-G32-REV-C2-Laptop-Screen-LCD-FHD-120Hz/382826413505?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648
    Came with one screwholder bent and some minor scratches but wth, thats why the price...
    It works!
    Haven't modded the chassis yet and perhaps I recommend it should be done AFTER you make sure it works.
    As I can see it doesn't have the connector in the exact same place, the cable sits at the bottom edge so it has to be bent around in a way - probably not a good thing since bending the cable could break it but seems to work. The part wrapped in alu foil (black in ebay pic) seems softer than expected, thought it was rigid connected to the panel.
    I got a BSOD when first powered on, something like "video memory" fault but it then restarted and all was fine. I have set it to PEG prior to install. Then gpu was microsoft display adapter and had to reinstall drivers.
    Now off to dremmel to put it all back together!

M18x-oldie likes this.