Alienware 17 R1 w/ 8 bit color 120Hz/5ms panel N173HHE-G32 Success!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Nomad, Jan 24, 2018.

?

Would upgrade to Innolux-Chimei 120Hz/5ms 8bit color 40pin Matte panel?

1. Yes!!! I want the N173HHE-G32 120Hz panel! Finally I don't need anything else from a laptop!

88.2%
  2. I'm just alright with my 5 year old 6bit TrueLife Glossy display.

5.9%
  3. Nahh I don't even need 120Hz, I'm just fine with factory stock 60Hz matte panel.

5.9%
  1. Angelom60

Angelom60 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi nazbadat, I had the exact same issues. Only later I realize that the seller instead of the innolux N173HHE-G32 had sent me an Innolux compatible panel (N173HCE-G32 rev C1). Later I had to buy a new panel, asking to the seller to guarantee that the new panel was the N173HHE and now everything works correctly with the GTX1070 and the modded nvidia driver 431.36
    My opinion is that first of all make a check if the panel is right.
    Rgds

uugui shi likes this.
  2. nazbadat

nazbadat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Angelo, Did you manage to affix the panel into the display assembly? If so how did you do that? I recently purchase a Dremel 8220 on prime day so I'm ready to do some modifications! I just don't know the best way to secure the panel using the existing side brackets that came with the stock panel

3. Angelom60

Angelom60 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    nazbadat and uugui shi like this.
  4. nazbadat

Reputations:
    What's the difference between the different revisions? I've taken order of a N173HHE-G32 Rev. C3 and was not sure what the incremental changes are?

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    No one really seems to be sure on that one iirc

6. nazbadat

Reputations:
    Well so long as the HHE model works correctly then I'm game!

7. nazbadat

Reputations:
    So guys I’ve been doing some experimenting with Velcro and it seems to work pretty well! I got some cut-to-size adhesive Velcro which I used to stick the panel to the brackets.

I completed my Dremel work, and will add photos soon, the file size is too big to upload here.

Initially I tried to stick the sides of the panel to the brackets, but this caused the total size to be too wide to fit within the enclosure, hence I stuck the tabs to the back of the panel with the lip that wraps around the back of the screen.

This allowed for enough space for the panel to fit, plus the thickness that the Velcro gives allows it to fit flush with the bezel when you close the assembly completely.

For those of you that are slightly worried about the security of using adhesive Velcro, it’s pretty legit. As there is no real possibility once everything is assembled for the Velcro tabs to undergo any tension, they won’t detach from their position.

Furthermore, the adhesive is more suited to withstand shear forces (i.e. side to side) but seeing as there will be little room to manoeuvre as the bezel will keep it from falling out and it can’t really move in any other position, it’s quite secure.

Hope this keeps things slightly simpler if anyone else attempts to do the same thing!

Here are images of the velcro, I placed them in line with the screws that would have been attached to the old screen so that the positioning would be correct

Attached Files:

Angelom60, t456 and uugui shi like this.
  8. nazbadat

Reputations:
    Here are the photos for the dremel work, I got the panel to fit just right :)

Attached Files:

Angelom60 and uugui shi like this.
  9. nazbadat

Reputations:
    Finally...

Attached Files:

Angelom60 and uugui shi like this.
  10. AlienHack

AlienHack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    guys, i already have a 120hz display in my m17x r4 , whats the gain of this innolux screen? the colors because its an ips?

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.