Alienware 17 R1 w/ 8 bit color 120Hz/5ms panel N173HHE-G32 Success!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Nomad, Jan 24, 2018.

?

Would upgrade to Innolux-Chimei 120Hz/5ms 8bit color 40pin Matte panel?

1. Yes!!! I want the N173HHE-G32 120Hz panel! Finally I don't need anything else from a laptop!

88.9%
  2. I'm just alright with my 5 year old 6bit TrueLife Glossy display.

5.6%
  3. Nahh I don't even need 120Hz, I'm just fine with factory stock 60Hz matte panel.

5.6%
  1. yuval_

yuval_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you succeed in replacing the panel? Do you need to unlock the BIOS or just replace the screen with the appropriate connector? Need to modify the EDID panel model in the BIOS? Can you tell us your email

Nomad likes this.
  2. yuval_

yuval_ Newbie

Reputations:
    use the new 40pin connector? the 3D panel 's connector?

3. Nomad

Nomad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the super late reply. I didn't replaced it yet. I've returned my unit and postpone the upgrade as it need some frame modding=time that till late summer I don't have...
    The only condition would be to have the 40pin connector nothing else! But please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Nomad

Nomad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi brother Striker! There are plenty of vendors in the Americas that can ship you the correct panel with the 40 pin connector. Here in the EU there also some but more difficult to find.

Striker1234 likes this.
  5. nazbadat

nazbadat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you manage to get the light strip underneath the panel to still function with the PCB in the way?

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    At the time of our chats he had only tested to see if it worked. Not sure if he modded to install it in his own unit.

I also had to remove the light strip, but it's a light sacrifice for a better panel lol

I still need to finish my mod but working 2 jobs at the moment just don't have the time to do it.

7. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another user named @Werss from another thread took some photos of his installation of the N173HHE-G32
    https://imageshack.com/a/UBel/1
    I'll post it here so that anyone interested in this screen can see it

8. nazbadat

Reputations:
    Does anyone know the thickness difference between the original display (say, the LTN173HT02-D01) and the ChiMei Innolux display? I have the Innolux panel and the cable, I just need a dremel and something to act as a spacer between the bracket and the panel similar to that posted in the link above. I'm thinking its between 7-9mm in difference

9. nazbadat

Reputations:
    I've just tried to test the Innolux panel and it looks great! But when I was installing the modded NVIDIA driver for my 1060 (431.36) the backlight for the panel just shut off completely, I can see the pixels when I shine a light through the screen, as soon as I run a DDU and the driver is gone, the backlight comes back... anyone ran into this issue? I read up somewhere that its to do with EDIDs or something but I was unsure of how to go about this as I would need to install Linux onto a USB and hotswap the panel while configuring the INF file or something like that but I wondered if there was another way to go around this before I commit to such a feat?