Alienware 17 R1 (Late 2013) GTX980m Power Limiting

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by michaelgqld, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelgqld

michaelgqld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I have had a bit of search around but I have not found anything yet pertaining to my issue. I have an Alienware 17 R1 (Late 2013 model). It originally came with an i7 4900, a GTX780m, 120hz 3D panel with intel graphics disabled. I have just got a Dell GTX980m 8GB (BIOS 84.04.2F.00.79 - Device ID 10DE 13D7-1028 05AE) and put it in and it works fine getting into windows and running 2D. However, when I run any decent 3D the graphics constantly hits power limiter and downclocks to around 800mhz. This is confirmed to be power limit in gpuz perfcap reason and this happens regardless of temperature. Running a Unigine benchmark has actually showed the card's performance to be just lower than the 780m I replaced. Using HWiNFO64 I have found that the GPU is being limited to 80 watts. It briefly goes up to over 100 watts but drops to 80.

Power Supply is 240 watt

This laptop always runs off mains power and the battery only lasts a few seconds regardless of apparent charge.

I should also mention that I have tried,
    Setting nvidia control panel power management mode to prefer maximum performance.
    Disabling Battery Boost in nvidia geforce experience
    Setting windows power options to high performance
    I have even installed a fresh windows 10 on a different hard drive and have observed the same result.

Has anyone else done this upgrade and had no issues, are there any known fixes, is this card faulty or just not going to work correctly.

Thanks

2. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any different with no battery? Or borrow someone's good one? Adapter warning disabled in BIOS?

3. michaelgqld

Reputations:
    No different without battery and I don't know anyone who has the same laptop. Adapter shows that it is 240 watt in BIOS.

4. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But did you disable the adapter warning? Read a few folks recommended that.

5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Did you install normal NVIDIA drivers or modded ones?

6. michaelgqld

Reputations:
    Yes I tried disabling adapter warning to no avail.

I did try a modded 417.01 driver and that made no difference but at the moment it's using normal Nvidia.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  7. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know if you are using windows 10 but there is something called windows mobility center. Go to the search bar and type that in and select it. Set your power options for max performance from there. Now if everything is like it is supposed to be then your 980m should be around 10.5k graphics score in firestrike. It may be that the bios you are using has a tdp issue. I reccomend a prema 980m bios which should be available online still. Lastly you could have a faulty psu but unless you are getting artifacts the card is probably fine.

8. michaelgqld

Reputations:
    Yes it's Windows 10, I'm 99% sure I've already tried that but I will give it another try anyway and download firestike. I have not been able to find the prema bios. His web site just has a box to subscribe and he's no longer on techpowerup as far as i can see, though I can't download through there anyway. If anyone has it can they dropbox link it or something?

9. michaelgqld

Reputations:
  10. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here is a vbios by johnkss ive had lots of luck with this bios in the past.
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...vbios-mods-900m-series-overclocking-versions/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.