Alienware 17 R1 (2015 Model) 8 Beep & GPU problem

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by MqTr1x, Jul 31, 2020.

1. MqTr1x

MqTr1x Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear All,

I would like to thank you that you guys have approved me as a member.

I really highly seek for your support of the below issue that i have been facing.

I have an out of warranty Alienware 17 R1 (2015).

Memory: 32GB
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4910MQ CPU 2.90GHz[Cores 4] [Logical/Core 2]
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
    Nvidia GTX 880m , 3D 120Hrz

It is shutting down whenever I play games after 13 to 15 minutes.

I have run a diagnostic and the below is the message :

https://ibb.co/CmnC4xS
    [​IMG]

FYI, i have done cpu and gpu thermal paste change.

also it shows me an error on memory card but i have checked the memory card and 4 of them operating normally and this is the message as below:
    [​IMG]

https://ibb.co/hc4SW1R

Memory stick are perfectly fine.

after a period of having the above problem the computer dosent boot & screen is black.

I have even tried to downgrade the bios but the same , after a period the computer boot but black screen with no beeps.

I had to send it to a technician for check-up & he mentioned that i need to change the GPU since it is not functioning anymore.

so i have ordered one from Ali express.

I have order one ESHAKARE GTX 970M but not nvidia as the following picture [​IMG].

https://ibb.co/GFRhn21

well received after 2 months & i have installed it directly, once i launched the screen was black not showing anything & 8 beeps in row.

Am sure is not LCD problem.

the GPU seller advise me to update the bios to the latest, since i felt it logic it could be the reason.

am checking how i can make the bios update and screen not showing anything with the 8 beeps, anyone here can help me please.

how to update bios without screen ? is it possible to blindly do that ?

If there is a tutorial video that would be highly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The image of the card didn't come through. There's a chance that the card is not compatible or it needs a different vBIOS. I'm not sure how you can flash a vBIOS on a card when you have the 120Hz screen as you need a working card to get a display

3. MqTr1x

MqTr1x Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear MAx, i have updated the post, please check the picture & let me know of your feedback.

any help guys ?

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Attach the images to your post using the Upload a File button, because all your images are private.

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Or upload to imgur and post here

6. MqTr1x

MqTr1x Newbie

Reputations:
    My apologies guys, i have problem in terms of sharing the picture with you, i cannot post it here.

i will update again my post with the links and updated pictures, i believe now all of you can see & can provide me with feedback.

7. MqTr1x

MqTr1x Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys,

Alienware 17 R1 (2015 Model) 8 Beep & GPU problem

Am happy to inform you that my laptop screen was absolutely fine and the shut down was because of the GPU.

further to my issue after replacing new GPU caused 8 beep, the real issue was the "BIOS configuration" since i did a GPU is new & downgrade "6GB".

The solution is :

i connected my Laptop with HDMI cable, it has allowed me to see the screen & to enter the bios configuration, from there i had to change the Boot Mode from "Legacy" to "UEFI".

After that i had to remove to HDMI and restart, it will remain 8 beeps but you "MUST MAKE THE UEFI AS THE FIRST BOOT OPTION IN BIOS"

so now after all this steps, the computer is fine runing as normal .

Next step is : the BIOS update , the GPU driver installation and later at the end a stress test to the computer to check the computer performance is normal.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  8. MqTr1x

MqTr1x Newbie

Reputations:
    So here we go again, i have updated the GPU driver & the BIOS to the latest, i have run the Diagnostic of the Dell Alienware.

All went well Even i have Stress test everything, a part of the memory, it showed me Error : Advanced Pattern Test WME22-0HB.

At that moment it came to my mind that the issue from the beginning is the memory sticks but i didn't pay attention & i will explain you why & how it could be.

i have 4 memory card, each one 8GB, i removed the two memory cards that stick out when you open the cover & start to test by removing one by one.

when both was installed (the one in the motherboard when you open the cover), the error still appearing when i was running the stress & diagnostic test.
    • and when i checked one by one i find out that the memory stick showing in the laptop functional 32GB but the test was showing error.

So i removed both of them & the diagnostic & stress test went well for everything.

Am running the laptop now with the original Memory Dell cards 16GB.

the faulty memory stick cards affected my GPU & caused the damage of it from the beginning.

Now the Laptop functional 16GB memory, 6GB GPU.

I hope i helped you guys with my feedback.

9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What Nvidia driver version are you using for the 970M?