Alienware 17 R1 (2013) Upgrades

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Jnobles, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yep, I enjoy the ability to disable optimus. I was able to instantly tell when I first got this Ranger that optimus was on by default and hit that Fn+F5 as soon as I saw it.

I never ran a LVDS panel at native 60hz anyways, most of the panels I've had ran at 110hz.

I liked the P157SM-A and would've used it as my daily driver but the keyboard layout was just foreign enough to put me off. I like clevo GPU heatsinks a bit more. If alienware had something similar the modding wouldnt have to be so drastic for the MSI 1070, but thats anecdotal.

2. Jnobles

Jnobles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, would you not recommend the 980m if I don’t want to get a 120hz screen yet?

I really enjoy the feel of the R1 over the newer ones. I get the appeal for a thinner laptop, but the port positions and the number of ports, and the fans on the R1 over the newer versions is just so much better in my opinion. I’m not really trying to game (too hard) on either system. I just got a new Aurora with the 8700k so I’ll play on that at my house mostly, I could really use the R4 for processing data for work and to have when I get into the “windows only” part of my degree. But it would just be nice to be able to have my R1 running faster than it is now. It takes a little longer than normal to boot up, it takes a few minutes to kind of “warm up” once it’s on, and booting up programs can take a few minutes. I’m hoping the SSD will clear most of this up but I’d still like to do more.

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Well no one likes screen tearing, and he would also be playing with no vsync. However the 980m isnt going to be maxing titles anymore. R6: Siege would crush it and that was released in 2015. Just really depends on the games you're interested in. That being said its still a good GPU. Shouldnt have any issue playing games with it.

You can also overclock the panel and see how far you can go with it to reduce the need for vsync and minimize screen tearing.

I have a 120hz panel and its nice having that but I honestly hate glossy displays, could never keep that darn thing clean. When I go back to 120hz it will be the MSI panel. 8-bit will be nice along with matte.

4. Jnobles

Reputations:

Well, while I'm here, do you know what adapter or mount I would need to connect a Samsung 860 Pro into the hard drive ports? I remember reading somewhere that the R1 has room for up to 3 2.5" SSD's, but I'm not sure if I'd need a mounting bracket and adapter to connect

5. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you should have everything you need as long as the laptop is complete. the brackets and connectors are already there

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    If you have a blu ray drive then you need to get the HDD interposer cable. They also made brackets for the HDD in the optical bay.

7. Jnobles

Reputations:
    Is the part number NP31N, or N3P1N? I've found this 3 pipe heatsink on ebay, but will it fit into the R1? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alien...366824&hash=item56b29c7fd9:g:XTsAAOSwWcdbQ9Pd

8. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

part # N3P1N is the correct one for an AW17 R1 GPU 3-Pipe-Heatsink.

Regards

9. Jnobles

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks for the help