Alienware 17 possible upgrades... Help?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by mExIaZtEc, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh, ok. I remember the pic of all the copper fins on the VRMs and then the 5-pipe heatsink that looked like the wone Cicichen sells, just without the plate part for thermal pads/to cover the card.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thats what I have, I just added more mass to the VRM area as the MSI card has them in a single column so it reaches thermal limits on the VRM still

3. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm a complete idiot, I'm now looking at the heatsink pics and noticed that you can take the copper plate off. I had always thought that you bought a special heatsink off of Cicichen for the sole purpose of OCing.

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I bought maybe 3 of his heatsinks, so that I may fabricate one of my own. I wanted the heatpipes, copper mass, and copper plates to experiment with. I was also thinking of adding a second CPU fan as well but I was too disheartened after learning that my GPU couldnt go above 118w due to some limitation in my motherboard in relation to the card. No idea what it was specifically though.

5. MrNiceGuy80

MrNiceGuy80 Newbie

Reputations:

Any luck with your upgrade?

Thanks

6. mExIaZtEc

mExIaZtEc Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to downgrade the bios, and unlock it... unfortunately as far as I can tell you were right about the microcode...

No, my friend hasn't returned from his holiday vacations... and to be honest at the moment I'm struggling to find a proper 120Hz screen.. according to this post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/120hz-3d-screen-upgrade-for-alienware-17-r1.758711/

I should avoid revision "C01".. unfortunately I'm not sure what sticker to pay attention to.. most screens have 2 stickers, a small sticker with a "LTN173HT02-C01" and another larger sticker that reads "0GN36T" and a "D01".... as you can imagine I'm confused, an example: (pic was acquired from the web, same screen 0GN36T)
    [​IMG]

More than ever I'm glad I canceled my screen, same stickers were found behind it.. at this point I'm calling it quits with this upgrade, and will probably sell the laptop.. which sucks because I still like it and its in pristine condition, although the decision will be made once my friend returns from his vacation and I get to try the RX 480..

7. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Either the D01 or D02 revisions will work. I never noticed there was a second smaller sticker on these screens. I've only ever seen the bigger one. That's what I've been paying attention to.

Having said that. The 120Hz screen isn't required for the GPU upgrade, but it is a pretty good screen.