Alienware 17 plugged in but not charging

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by altdominic, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altdominic

altdominic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I have had this Alienware 17 for about ten months. Over the past few months, it will stop detecting that it is plugged in seemingly at random. It has only happend a few times, but I'm worried it's a hardware problem. I leave it plugged in all the time. When it happens, I have to open it up and disconnect the battery and do a drain. Such an annoyance. I read about the R4s having this problem, but not the newer version. Anyone else know what's up?

Edit:Sorry about the title

2. scop

scop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello,
    how is the battery meter?
    check with:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alienware On-Screen Display\desktop.exe"

3. LukeGeauxBoom

LukeGeauxBoom Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like either a bad power adapter or a loose DC jack on your laptop. First thing I would do is try another adapter. If you don't have another one, I'd call Dell. I assume you are still under warranty?

4. xpsbrenden

xpsbrenden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you using the power brick that came with the system?

5. altdominic

Reputations:
    The battery meter is set in Desktop mode. it doesn't seem to have anything there. I am using the original power cord and brick. I am still under warranty I assume. The computer was ordered in August last year. When the problem has happened before, I would try replugging and restarting. That worked the first time, but the last few times it hasn't. I recall checking my BIOS and when I was having the problem, the power supply wasn't detected. After reconnecting the battery and doing a power drain by holding the power button, it seemed ok.

6. altdominic

Reputations:
    I'm worried this is a problem with my motherboard. It has only happened a few times, but I'd rather take care of it under warranty. I did find this youtube video, but I don't think it is addresing the problem. Is nobody else having this issue?

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  7. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Problems that are intermittent are the hardest to troubleshoot. Best idea is to call and make Dell aware and start your tracking.

8. teksavvy1

teksavvy1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i have same issue of Alienware 17 bought in this July. it stopped charging even changing power adapter won't cure. then after power off and reboot, it started charging again. it happened three times to date. i just wonder if it's software issue or hardware issue as i need run this computer 24x7.

9. _NathaN_

_NathaN_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know I have the good ole M17x R2, and not the newer editions that yall have....but, this problems sounds very similar to what most of us R2 owners went through a year or so after they came out. The problem we had in our systems was either...

1: battery not charging
    or
    2: A/C power supply not reconized.

This turned out to be a M/B Bios issue, which was resolved in a Bios update from Dell (or like I used, the modded bios version). I am not for sure if there has been a recent M/B Bios update for yall's version yet or not from dell, but it would be worth a shot to check at

Support | Dell US

just click the detect my system..once it brings up your model, then click on the drivers download button on the menu to the left of the screen.

Hopefully it is not a hardware issue... Good luck

10. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did the following on my R2 when I had issue with not charging.

* Shut down the system
    * Remove the AC adapter connection and battery from the PC
    * Hold down the AlienHead power button for 10 seconds
    * Place the battery back into the system and plug in the AC Adapter
    * Turn on the system and enter Windows. The battery should be recognized now and charging. If the battery is recognized but not charging, toggle FN+F2 until it shows that the battery charging is enabled. Verify this by checking the status bar that the battery is charging

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.