Alienware 17 - Battery or MoBo At fault ? Very Urgent

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Ashtrix, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashtrix

    Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

    Reputations:
    2,056
    Messages:
    1,923
    Likes Received:
    2,663
    Trophy Points:
    181
    OK bumping this thread - As of September 26 / 2016, New issue surfaced unfortunately.

    Desktop mode always plugged in and stays at 100% says "fully charged". For a few mins I unplug the PSU and it drops to xx% says charging, reaches to 100% says the same, this had happened before also on this new Battery 2% wear by default from Dell.

    Now the Issue comes, I want to get that DT mode back ON, So I make the machine run on battery for 2hrs+ or so and make it go down and then restart and found a wear level increase by 4% making it total 6% happen in an effing restart this happened a month ago Edit: I thought a callibration issue but nope. Now today It happened again and upon restarting the machine it jumped to a 10% wtf is this 4% increase on every full discharge cycle, same report on HWinfo, Aida64, Battery care & the ultimate confusion is this - The machine was running even when the battery was at low 0% for a damn 5-10 mins with AlienFX ON !! And then I restarted it by removing the OSD and then there comes this message critical battery level press F1 for continue or F2 for setup and tried multi times and finally the laptop couldn't post that message just switches on and then turns off.

    I can't ask Dell for replacement since iirc the return policy of parts from dell hold the return for 30 days right ? And the new battery was fairly over 30 days.


    Is the machine at fault or the battery ? Or the PSU, never overheated or anything like sounds or smoke, Tried even plugging the PSU only w/o battery and works well, bought from Dell for higher price for the 980M upgrade. Open to suggestions. Thank you.

    P.S
    This is very sad for me as this laptop was a remembrance to a person who was dear to me and not anymore in this world, Happened this year only.

    EDIT 2 : So from reading over I learnt that all these new modern laptop batteries if undergone full discharge cycles they wear a lot quickly ? So I guess I have to stop over thinking this or ?
     
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Ashtrix

    Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

    Reputations:
    2,056
    Messages:
    1,923
    Likes Received:
    2,663
    Trophy Points:
    181
    Update - follow up to the above post.

    About the battery, I learnt a few things & let me share these tips.

    First keep in desktop mode, yeah it charges everytime we unplug it to 100% and stays there for quite a time and then stop charging, I've seen the Aida64 and the charge rate goes down all the way from 7000 to 0 slowly then it goes to "fully charged" state. This is normal and thus the Desktop mode kicks in making the battery stop delivering the power act as an Auxillary source when powercut happens, thanks to BIOS as it doesn't draw power from battery at all when you are running in PEG mode. Doesn't mean iGPU/SG mode does that we are good.

    Second - Wear level. This is very important, I've learnt the hard way, Never ever discharge the battery from 100% to 0%, Only discharge it to 40-50% max if you do that, the wear Increases on these Li-Ion batteries. That's how they are designed, About my case yeah it does this by 4% for every cycle. So be careful.

    So that's it key things are - Don't discharge and never keep the battery % less than 40% as they tend to die fast and loose their power/ability to charge if you keep then unplugged also they like to stay in high powered states always (shelving - 60-70% state is recommended), Order a battery soon as they might go out if stock the Original OEM Simplo ones are still available at less 2%-5% wear.
     
    Nomad likes this.
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page