Alienware 17 2013 with eurocom 1070 90w

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by chokolademan, May 7, 2019.

1. chokolademan

chokolademan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A while ago I tried a 1070 with my trusted Alien, but unfortunately the card was broken.
    Now I'm ready for a second try with a Eurocom version.
    The laptop was prepared the first time, bios/heatpipes/adapter/windows setup and all that stuff.
    But...
    I heard the Eurocoms are very fragile. And tend to overheat/blow up if not taken care of.
    And read here that the 1070 Eurocoms have the wrong bios, which are made for 120w or 150w.
    Where can I find a bios with a 90w version for a Eurocom? And maybe other tips for this 1070?
    Many thanks!

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Send it back and get literally anything else

Ashtrix, chokolademan and Arrrrbol like this.
  3. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Basically above. You can find MSI's for extremely cheap, or Zotacs or the off-brand Dell's for around the $500 mark. Unless you got it for significantly less, I would send it back asap.

Ashtrix, chokolademan and Arrrrbol like this.
  4. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 90W vBIOS will only help for a while, the card will still fail after a few months. Its just a poorly designed and built card with an inadequate VRM. It is originally manufactured by a Chinese company called GeCube. They apparently fixed the issues of that 1070 with a new one which has a stronger VRM and 150W TDP, but I wouldn't risk getting one of those until someone on here has properly stress tested it. I may get hold of one and properly torture it to see if its any good, but for now the MSI 1070 is the strongest and most reliable. They can take a lot of power without complaining. If you want a cheap alternative, try an MSI 1060 and TDP mod it.

Ashtrix and chokolademan like this.
  5. chokolademan

Reputations:
    Ahh ok, I think it's difficult for me to send it back. It was second hand purchase.
    Most other brands are here difficult to come by, or I have to import it with a heavy tax on it.
    So I think I give it a go :)
    After a google fu, I saw the vrm is the part which regulates voltage and such. How can I protect the VRM more? Does it overheat or, when put on more gpu load, it overloads?
    Can I like use throttlestop to regulate the voltage myself?
    And how can I found out if the bios is really the 90w or the wrong 120/150w? Where could I find the 90W bios?
    Sorry for so many questions, but many thanks for the help!

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    If the vrms are of poor quality then it's a matter of dirty power being delivered and not so much just how much.

7. chokolademan

Reputations:
    Ok, today got the time to work on the laptop. And it works first time booting!
    I allready had it prepared earlier in the year, bios, new heatpipes, etc.
    So how can I check if it really has the 90w limit? I got several diagnostic tools, but they don't show a watt limit from the videocard. Which tool can do this?
    I know I can flashbios it to go higher, but I want to protect this card from going over the limit and keep it alive.
    I'll let you know how the card will run in the long term, I'm surprised I can give this laptop such a boost :)

8. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You could stress test the GPU and use GPUz or hwinfo to check the total wattage pull of it.

9. AlienHack

AlienHack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so everything good with the eurocom card?