Alienware 15r3 7820hk heat issues

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by EepoSaurus, Mar 3, 2018.

1. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @c69k Where can I get foam barriers? Aliexpress??

2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Falkentyne and c69k like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You can use a number of things to make a dam or barrier to keep liquid metal from escaping from where you place it. Foam dams are one example, as shown the the video in my YouTube channel. If you use foam, it needs to be very thin to start with. It should not be much thicker than the air space you will fill with it. It should also be super soft and compressible to near zero height with little or no resistance. Otherwise, it can interfere with heat sink contact. I used a thin layer of foam that came in shipping material to protect an LCD panel. (That is what is visible in the video.)

You can also use a thick non-conductive thermal paste, or a narrow bead of RTV silicon. If you use RTV silicon, lay some tape or thin layer of plastic wrap on top of the bead of silicon to avoid having it glue the heat sink in place. The next time you take it apart, it won't be stuck and you can throw the plastic away. The bead of silicon should continue working as a gasket after removing the plastic.

Papusan, Vasudev and Falkentyne like this.
  5. mokobey

mokobey Newbie

Reputations:
    how did the foam stay in place?

6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    By the compression of the CPU/GPU heatsink collapsing it and holding it in place. That is why the thicker but with a high compression rate is better to
    use. Just make sure the foam doesn't impede the pairing in any way.

7. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there a good source for this foam?

8. mokobey

mokobey Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks. can kitchen sponge type work? but I can cut it thin and flat

9. Usama

Usama Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm new here despite reading the forums for years. I recently just bought a 15r3 with the i7 7820hk and gtx 1080mq too like the op for a decent $2400 CAD (only reason i bought it). Anyways i overclocked it to 4.5ghz and hit 91°C max on it....before settling around 89°C running cinebench 8-10 times. Now I may have jumped the gun and worried too quickly and ordered an exchange model but where these temps getting too hot with my overclock? What should i be achieving or aiming for regarding temps? Srry if i broke any newbie rules but I just want your opinions.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Absoolutely NOT. Too thick and too hard. Trimmed sponge only "feels" suitable when wet. Just go to the hardware store and buy some of the least dense, most compressible foam available. If you can manage to trim a cutout that is 1mm to 2mm in thickness size while being super compressible with no resistance, that would be great. The reason something paper thin won't work is because it has to be thick enough to 'block' the air gap area between the heatsink and the CPU (or GPU) housing surface. If it's not, then it winds up being no different than attempting to use Super 33+ tape as a "dam" by stacking layers. And I would not recommend that either. More material just means more heat trapped somewhere that can't escape.

Vasudev likes this.