Alienware 15R2/17R3 BIOS 1.6.1

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by VICKYGAMEBOY, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Honestly, no use running BIOS update twice since it flashes everything in Recovery capsule mode after executing.
    If it works w/o any issues then its okay to stick with it. What we're getting is maintenance releases of BIOS and not feature enhancement since 1.3.12 has been updated with IRST ROMS and RAID roms.

ThomasAAT likes this.
  3. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly my point, with some additional info :)

This made me think.. if you updated from a BIOS previous 1.3.12 (ex from 1.3.9) and up to 1.4.4/1.6.1 that could leave to the problems we are seeing?

This because 1.3.12 has been updated with IRST ROMS and RAID roms... hmm.
    Enhancements:
    1. Update Intel microcode
    2. Update RAID Option ROM
    3. Update Intel GOP and VBIOS
    4. Improve user experience of Alienware Command Center
    5. Security enhancement

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  4. John Willems

John Willems Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I updated to BIOS version 1.3.9 to 1.3.10 to 1.3.12 and all of these versions worked fine. For me all the problems started with the flash to BIOS 1.44.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  5. 95TA

95TA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well first and foremost I think we can all agree that Dell is (and has been since December) in panic mode in regards to support, so the normal iterative cycle of improvements is gone until vulnerabilities are either a) fixed or enough time has passed that they have restructured so as to have a specific department that deals with vulnerability mitigation on a corporate wide level, or b) they give up on older models because they have delayed long enough to End Of Life them.

In any case the whole idea of new BIOSes being released with new features/options as enhancements for non-current generation products is a lost cause.

We will be lucky to get BIOS updates to fix vulnerabilities without killing the performance of our machines. Anything else is unrealistic.

6. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recently acquired a broke 17 R3 and fixed it (DC in cable was burnt on mobo, battery was dead, refused to work).

This was a common issues due to the "express charge" feature or some such. It works great now after those two things were replaced.

It is on BIOS 1.2.3 (11/11/2015), having seen the cancerous BIOS issues earlier this year, is it even worth flashing(taking the risk) the BIOS????? I think I will just disable "express charge" now... I care nothing for the security updates, its just secondary laptop for traveling.

This is a fairly high end laptop, and it would sure be a shame to brick a 6820HK mobo. doubt id get another. I paid $400 for the laptop.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  7. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi, The dc cable burnt problem was due to bad bios.. They fixed it with the recent one.. I suggest update bios 1 by 1 until you reach bios 1.3.12 as that is the best bios as of the moment without issues.. The only problem with that is the microcode is not updated for the spectre intel vulnerabilities.. @Vasudev was able to update intel micro code and Intel MEI while still in bios 1.3.12.. Try asking him.. If you don't want to update too far my suggestion is go to bios 1.3.6.. Hope this helps..

Vasudev likes this.
  8. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks! I updated 1 at a time via USB in BIOS and did successfully update to 1.3.12.

Good info, + reps.

Vasudev and ThomasAAT like this.
  9. dsmclark

dsmclark Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So i've been having problems with my 15 R2 ever since it updated the BIOS its self to 1.4.4 through support assist (even though the update had been pulled at the time by dell!). So i managed to get it back to 1.3.12 but now it won't shut off still when I shut down! and I have to force the update to 1.6.1 but that doesn't solve the shut down issue and with the latest one I get a long boot time! I've emailed Dell but they just ignore me! any ideas or is my Mobo toast?

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Don't really what caused it. On my sister's Lenovo she can't restart the PC, restarting puts the PC into boot loop. I think Win 10 upgrade messed it, but Linux behaves the same way, so I reckon mostly likely hardware issue.
    Try BIOS recovery on USB stick and see if reset to defaults or downgrade BIOS to 1.3.12 helps or not!

Papusan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.