Alienware 15 r3 unbelievable dust build up

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by jpsm, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am back at my home now. Left my laptop at the office but last time i checked 4c max core differentials when running xtu stress test.

alexnvidia likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's awful lot of paste. Why didn't you go for surface spread? For ICD spreading is difficult.

jpsm likes this.
  3. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    tbh i was busy catching up on a tv series when the guys was fixing my machine 10months ago. I believe it was SUITS i was watching LOL. Anyway, this time i watched him like a hawk and this time i myself applied the icd via line method.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    use thin line next time while repasting cpu and big pea on gpu.

c69k likes this.
  5. J888www

J888www Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...3-owners-lounge.797458/page-402#post-10712534

Alienware 15 R3 amazing heatsink build quality !!!

Had been curious if the fan wheel can be removed by simply lifting it out, the answer is NO.
    The fan spindles will break with any attempt at disassembly.

The images are from a brand new heatsink so it isn't brittle after Months in high temperature.
    What I found to my amazement is how Dell had skimped in the manufacture of the heatsink.
    The quality is diabolical.

1) How much more would it cost to spray the rest of the fan interior instead of half painting it ?
    2) The copper heatsink outlet is too compacted together that dust will accumulate very quickly, it is more delicate than an eggshell, easily snapped off.
    3) & (4) Flimsy plastic fan blades (0.2mm thickness) are also very brittle.
    5) Flimsy copper coil wires (0.1mm) from the rotor will easily break, anyone who experienced Dremel motor failure will understand.
    6) Inadequate and badly designed underside tape seal requires fan removal in order to seal it correctly.

Please note I'm not Dell AW bashing, merely bringing knowledge of truth at how Dell is becoming a cheapskate and their loyal customers are suffering the issues of their avarice.

When you pay such a price for a laptop, you don't expect such CRAP.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So you blame dell for your own screw up? not all fans can be disassembled like this. The fan you are pointing at is the well regarded Sunon maglev fan design. This design is not ment in any way to pull apart. Those fan blades are thin so more can be used for a better airflow. These fans are widely regarded as durable in the whole industry by people that actually know whats up. So you blame someone else for your own lack of knowledge about this fan style, thats grand.

So now in the end you are complaining that you receive a high end/good quality fan because you cant take it apart (wrongly take it apart)?

Now you accused others of being shills for Dell, for which company are you a shill?

Read up on Maglev fans here http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/technology.pdf

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Spartan@HIDevolution and Drinky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.