Alienware 15 R3 120hz: Can't Download Latest NVidia Drivers

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Erchino, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erchino

Erchino Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK... so this is weird. I was following the steps, only to realize that everything that I was asked to modify was already there. I didn't have to do anything because the lines of text that I needed to insert into the inf file was already there. Only I can't update the Nvidia drivers.

It's almost as if I should be able to update but for some reason I can't...

2. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Burn it. With Fire.

Just Kidding. Pyrotechnics aren't recommended. Try uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling the latest from a clean install.

3. Erchino

Erchino Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll see if that works.

4. Erchino

Erchino Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Still tells me it's incompatible... Have others managed to download the latest drivers to their Alienware 15 R3's with 120hz TN WVA panel?

5. Derek@TecnotecPC

Reputations:
    Really Odd.

I went onto the Dell Support site for driver downloads and they have a release dated Oct 5th, just over 20 days ago. It doesn't say which Nvidia driver revision it correlates to but I'd say it's worth a shot.

6. Erchino

Erchino Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's the same 369.32 version unfortunately :\. This is weird, a few people posted that the Alienware machines finally got whitelisted by Nvidia, but it doesn't seem that way from my end.

7. Derek@TecnotecPC

Reputations:
    Yeah definitely not. That's a shame. With Alienware you can typically get a hold of them decently well via chat. If you don't have anything else going on might reach out to them directly and see if they have a workaround. They're pretty stingy with that sort of help though.

8. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The G-Sync models have a different motherboard. I don't know how nvidia determines if a machine is able to install the drivers but maybe it looks that the motherboard info?

9. Erchino

Erchino Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I appreciate all the help. Hmm... different motherboard huh? I guess that's something worth looking into. I'll also try to contact Dell. For now, this looks to be a lost cause. I guess i'm forced to wait until Dell decides to release the new driver or until NVidia whitelists the machine. But if anyone else finds a solution or work around, I'm all ears.

10. Sybil

Sybil Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any way to get in touch with NVidia to speed this up? In all likelihood I will also be affected by this as I'm also intending on purchasing my notebook with the G-Sync display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.