ALIENWARE 15 HYPE?! leaked video

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by MikeTheVike, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Player2

Player2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I won't buy one . I will upgrade my 17 until nothing is compatable with it anymore then I will switch to clevo/sager. It's already bad enough to buy a new laptop and in less than 6 months there's already a better gpu out. But not being able to upgrade is even worse.
    It's still hard to believe that alienware is selling there systems with soldered everything now.

TBoneSan likes this.
  2. Djangi

Djangi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also 10% off now here in the Netherlands. Considering the i7 build with 4k monitor(it's finally available), 16 GB ram and gtx 970. Will probably add a ssd myself considering the high cost @ Alienware. The only problem now is that now that there is an interesting offer on the table is that I'm conflicted about the weight.

3. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    I haven't been keeping up much with clevo lately, but glad to see someone is still keeping the upgradable systems alive. And I bet you money that all these companies are switching over to BGA because of broadwell. It looks like with broadwell intel is ditching LGA entirely on the mobile front which is dumb and moving over to BGA. So this market shift is really being done by intel. :( :mad:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 15" and smaller notebooks, I understand having soldered components. They're focused primarily on mobility (weight, etc.). But anything larger should not be subject to such crap. In my opinion, the AW 15 is tolerable only because it has the 980M as an option, which makes it a beast of a 15" laptop compared to other 15" laptops, aside from a select few (e.g. Clevo P750ZM). It's still such a shame to see Alienware fall in line with other manufacturers.

5. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well it's good to see that the alienware 15 is now available in Belgium. Also 4K monitors are available. also Netherlands was added to them too. So I guess the 4K now has been added to europe too.
    Now only thing remaining is the 980M. If that gets here too I'm willing to get it.

On the competition side, the Aorus X5 seem appealing to me too:
    Good sides compared to the aliewnare 15:
    - The 965M in SLI is more powerful.
    - Full aluminum chassis, like the apple ones, also helps with cooling.
    - Considerably thinner.
    - Has optical spid/f port for surround sound.
    - The Panel is IGZO based, so less power consumption (still IPS though)
    - supports 3 up m.2 ssd's in raid 0
    Bad sides compared to the alienware 15
    - Non common 2880x1620 resolution
    - No bay for 2.5 inch drives.
    - Very bad keyboard
    - No alienware like lights.
    - worse support (the premium support is still a standard in my country for alienware)

- (unknown) How are the temperatures of both laptops I don't know, but it looks like the aorus will run hotter.

6. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    I swear linus from linus tech tips said there is a 2.5 inch drive slot in the x5, but he could be wrong.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I know there's a lot of disappointment in this thread, but I'm impressed by the value of an Alienware 15 with the 128 gb SSD + 1 TB HDD and everything else base spec. Very respectable midsize, performance laptop with premium materials/build for $1350.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The disappointment is primarily because they no longer sell anything except these mickey mouse BGA Ultrabooks. They threw the baby out with the bath water and alienated (pun intended) many long term customers with more demanding standards.

Had they introduced these mediocre new featherweights as additional purchase options to supplement the existing enthusiast-grade product line, and refreshed the 17 and 18 with 980M and 980M SLI, I doubt most of us would really care one way or the other. We never made a big deal about the 14, or the M11x, because those models didn't affect us. That would have given the low-budget thin and light casual gamer shoppers something to be happy about while still upholding the brand reputation and meeting the expectations of performance enthusiasts. I suppose some guys would throw a temper tantrum about the bigger machines not having an eGPU like the Ultrabooks, but I think most of us look at that as being a geeky tinker toy more than anything else.

9. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    I hear ya there. And I think that is the reason origin pc switched over to desktop cpu's in some of their machines. To keep upgradability a possibility instead of going down the bga/broadwell route. it would have been interesting if Alienware went down a similar path. :(

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Omniscient

Omniscient Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't keep my stuff long enough for this to really bother me... having said that... If Origin or any other botique builders decide to jump on the "amplifier" bandwagon, I'll be outta here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.