Alienware 15 (2015) will randomly not shut down and hang with fans at 100% and backlights on

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by SJLPHI, Oct 12, 2019.

1. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question about new MB. Did they upgrade your MB, or just replaced it?

I mean if I understood correctly they upgraded you from R2 to R3, and replaced that a few times. I think I am dealing with "R1" (2015) and considering that there is no issue whatsoever other than this annoying thing, I at least hope that it's just the BIOS chip.

2. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    replaced with same mobo, no upgrade.. ended with a r3 due to different issues which was overheating and something else that i forgot..

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @SJLPHI Did Dell's reset BIOS written by @c69k? *OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge
    Plug the USB drive to the port when there's a thunder or lightning icon which supports Powershare and not TB3 port!
    If that didn't help, ask @t456 's help in creating base bios image flashable through USB SPI programmer. His works are amazing and brng back dead laptops to life!
    It is really the issue of bad flash! Another pointer for you is to disable TPM in BIOS so now it can boot quicker when using Linux and Windows since fTPM by intel sometimes has weird issues!
    Have you tried disabling TPM? I fixed my slow boot issue! As a test, I upgraded by LGA laptop with BX500 and still it beats the big dog BGA any day in boot speed!

c69k likes this.
  4. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I was wrong, this did not fix the firmware bug.

6. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Okay. Device manager on W10 pointed out an issue with "intel dynamic platform and thermal framework manager" with error: This device cannot start. (Code 10) The process hosting the driver for this device has terminated.

This motivated me to downgrade the intel dynamic platform and thermal framework manager down to the one provided by Dell (Chipset_Driver_V42WJ_WN_8.0.10100.71_A00 , https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=v42wj ).

So far, no hanging on shutdown.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. RatioKiller

RatioKiller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had this same problem. (Alienware 15 R1). Mine occurred once when I updated the BIOS and another time after a windows update. However, what I find that works is when I changed the powerbutton on the laptop (alienhead) to = shut down, the problems ended. If I go to turn off the computer using start > power > shutdown, it hangs. No idea why, but alien head power button works..

8. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Still not resolved. Just detected hanging again :(