alienware 14 as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by allienhead191, Apr 9, 2018.

1. allienhead191

allienhead191 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    looking to upgrade my daily laptop that does normal tasks with browsing / watching content

not wanting to spend much on one im looking at a used 14 with 765m

for some reason I really love the design of the alienware 14 it looks so elegant like a pearl shell yet very understated & inviting.

I will probably not even game on it I just want to be using a nice laptop but thought I should ask before I go hunting if there's anything to look out for? ill be looking for the 1080p screens

i7 4700 but I heard you can upgrade these? not sure if it would be worth it at all though

2. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’ve been using a 14 w 4700 cpu/765m as my daily machine for 3-5 years now. Pretty much since the day it came out. It’s perofrmed flawlessly.even using a slv7 unlocked gpu vbios. It does everything from massive Visio diagrams, WiFi monitoring, huge spreadsheets, VM test servers/sql databases and on and on.

Yes you can upgrade to a 4930 if you want a extreme cpu. I am running 3xsamsubg 500gb ssd’s in raid 0. Little workhorse. She gets to stretch her legs on occasion with some Battlefield 3/4...

allienhead191 likes this.
  3. allienhead191

allienhead191 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply, are they loud at all? I will probably plug it into a 3440 x 1440 for normal tasks now and then via Display Port

4. Alienware Gamer ALX

Alienware Gamer ALX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have it too.

- 1080p IPS screen is 10/10. The best screen i saw at the time i bought it (2014).
    - low temperatures, you can overclock your gpu +135 without worries
    - yes, fans are loud (but only under load) :(

one thing: it s surprisingly heavy. small but really heavy (2.9 Kg)

( Alienware 15 is 3Kg and it s bigger))

i bought 3 alienware but i m not going to sell it, just because of it s screen and the unique design

5. FastMover

FastMover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have owned an Alienware 14 and still own a M14x R2 and they both, although from different generations, perform beautifully. I think the 765M is a perfect fit for old generation 14 inchers.