Alienware 13 R3 Thermal Testing - Should you cool your PCH with mods?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by shadowyani, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any tips on how to undervolt the GPU?

I have two NVMe drives there. Are there any optimization tweaks for those?

2. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use msi afterburner and press control + f on the graph. For me personally I have a straight line at .800v, 1721mhz. Yours might not be able to achieve this clock. What's your ssd temps. I suspect they are running hot.

3. Kuro Kensei

Reputations:
    both ssds are around 45-50C

Vasudev and propeldragon like this.
  4. Kuro Kensei

Reputations:
    Wow, this is a huge revelation for me haha! 1700mhz at .830v seems pretty stable. Dropped from 80W+ to 52W and the temps aren't even touching 65C while gaming!
    But the PCH chip is still hitting 80C. need to figure out a way to remove that heat from the copper foam. Maybe I should try the PGS bridge to the pipes again...

PCH under load.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Vasudev and propeldragon like this.
  5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Kuro Kensei ,

For your already existing PCH mod I would connect to back- plate with thermal pads (you might have to cut out some plastic off backplate).

propeldragon likes this.
  6. Kuro Kensei

Reputations:
    Been thinking about that too.

Oh, btw, interestingly, if I use my AW graphics amplifier instead, the PCH chip is happily sitting at 60-65C all the time.

sn00ka, propeldragon and c69k like this.
  7. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It’s a shame that cpu performance mode adds so much heat 20c+ on the PCH because the benefits of 5-6 frames you get in game helps a lot when only gaming at 60 fps, World War Z game is a big example of where you will see the difference (zombie swarms). Don’t mean to bump old threads but I was in a dilemma if I should go through the troubles.

c69k likes this.
  8. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You guys realize that pch temperature is controlled by how active it's set? In the power plan options under PCI Express there is a power saving feature. Having that set to off will skyrocket pch temps and using a thunderbolt connection will increase it even more. Maximum power savings is what I use. CPU clocks have no relation to pch temps, but a high pch temp can throttle a CPU depending on what the bios is set for in regards to throttling.

Passive heatsinks do next to nothing for PCH, needs to have active cooling when pci Express power savings is set to off. ;)

9. Kuro Kensei

Reputations:
    Mine is always set to maximum power saving to no effect on PCH temps.

Stock (no heatsink) - 95C under load
    Copper foam HS - 85C
    Aluminum HS - 80C

It's getting it below 75C what we are trying to achieve. Just because yours doesn't get that hot, doesn't mean there's no problem or that a passive HS has no effect.

propeldragon likes this.
  10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Kuro, I need your opinion, please.

My GPU is getting to 80-82C for short bursts, because I hard-flashed 110W-130W Vbios and I see games pulling (peaking) 110W.

90% of time in-game I am pulling 70-80W.

During this short period when GPU gets suddently hot, heat-sink fires heat back to PCH through my PGS tape (PCH to heat-sink PGS mod) and as a result PCH gets to 80-90C. And even if my GPU temp. drops to 75C, PCH stays around 85C.

I never saw CPU throttling even at PCH of 90C (all time max.) and I keep Throttlestop set to BD PROCHOT ON for safety.

I want to go copper foam 5 mm thick (could not find thicker) and then connect it directly above it to metal of backplate.
    I wil rip off the black plastic from backplate size of the copper foam and use quality thermal pad for heat transfer.
    From your experience do you think the back plate can absorb the heat? Considering it is basically actively cooled by air being pulled in from fans below. Plus the metal back-plate is pretty huge compared to any laptop heat-sink.(SSD, RAM or PCH)

If I use 5mm copper foam and place it directly on PCH, what would be the distance to naked metal on the back plate?
    What do you think is the best way to connect copper foam to PCH for best heat transfer?
    What wattage this small s**t PCH uses? I have no info on this, specifically for 13 R3.

I know that since I have connected my 970 PRO to (naked metal) backplate with thermal pad, I never reach 70C on controller whatever load I put on the SSD. Normally it would be 80-90C easy with throttling.
    970 pulls anywhere under 10W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.