Alienware 13 R3 a brick!

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Blazertrek50, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Warranties are pricey, get your monies worth lol

2. redandblack1287

redandblack1287 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Make sure you test out a few things before the tech leaves, try playing a game for a few minutes and make sure it works. My first Mobo replacement booted but had a faulty graphics card. This was immediately apparent upon playing 3 minutes of doom. My second board did not boot. 3rd board had a fan plug with broken plastic and one of the fans was not working--I plugged it back in myself and it worked, so I kept that board.

The moral of the story is that they DO NOT TEST their motherboard replacements, they are not new, and you need to expect issues if your experience is anything at all like mine. The tech that does the replacement can expedite the replacement process if you find out right away that the replacement board is no good

Maleko48 likes this.
  3. Blazertrek50

Blazertrek50 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yes he had me play a game for 15 minutes upon installing the mobs in March. which is why i don't believe that is the problem...

4. redandblack1287

Reputations:
    Believe whatever you want, Dell is going to replace the motherboard. Just some advice to save you trouble with your replacement

5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What was the evident issue of it being faulty? Have a mobo replacement and the gpu isn’t as good as the last board that has a different problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. redandblack1287

Reputations:
    It would BSOD or freeze and loop sound every single time I ran a game for more than a minute or two; I had no problems with anything (other than crappy IGPU framerates) once I disabled the Nvidia card, so it was pretty straightforward troubleshooting haha

7. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah ok. Also forgot you can disable it and the intel one works. Well I dunno if mine is worse since it works but just stutters.

8. redandblack1287

Reputations:
    It may very well be worse. My theory on these motherboards is that the memory chips are not consistent heights from one mobo to the next, and this causes a myriad of issues with heatsink contact. The margin of error is very low, so even a slight difference can cause your components to go from being cooled to not being cooled. I have read the stuttering comes from the GPU memory not being cooled adequately. I would try undervolting first, and if that doesn't help then try replacing the thermal pads over the memory modules on the GPU side.

9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So what you think? If you bend the arms upwards you think that’ll help? I ain’t messing with liquid metal as good as it sounds.
    The higher the risk the better the results. But I’m it’s not taking risk with something I’m not comfy or familiar with. Just regular old fashion pasting is what I do lol.

10. redandblack1287

Reputations:
    No I'm not talking about any of that, the liquid metal will only help with the GPU core and that isn't your problem. Don't bend the arms on the heatsink either. All I did was clean off the thermal paste, replace the thermal pads, and then put the heatsink back on and tighten the screws as if I were putting everything back together. Then after I let it sit for a sec, I took the heat sink back off and looked to see if all the thermal pads had indentions on them or not. If you see some without indentions from the memory modules, you need to use a thicker pad there. Mine had 2 spots with no contact.

Once you figure the thermal pads out, repaste and put everything back together and see if that helps the stuttering. Also I found that running hwinfo with the game would make it stutter, but if I only ran the game (Witcher 3) by itself then it didn't stutter.

sisqo_uk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.