Alienware 13 r1 bios bricked

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by benc122, May 8, 2019.

1. benc122

benc122 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see to embark on a new test clip since the plastic is worn out and can’t stick what’s the best clip for me to use?

It’s not working when I updated the drivers I’m thinking the touchpad is gone

Well since I’m about to use the graphics amp is it good that the internal dgpu is gone so it can free up lanes? @t456

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When disassembling the whole laptop next time, disassemble the keyboard and trackpad metal plates, I think the touchpad metal surface is either being grounded. I used to get super laggy mouse cursor and erratic behavior before diassembling and aligned the metal plate and the bracket properly. Now, its not erratic anymore.

3. benc122

Reputations:
    @t456 can I use my graphic amp without my dgpu even it not detected in my bios?

@t456 I tried flashing the chips to the chip in the bios under discrete graphics it’s still saying none what do I do? Is my gpu is dead?

4. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    No, but it could help if the external card couldn't be claim sufficient memory resources otherwise.
    Sure; you have an Optimus system, so as long as you don't swap the cpu for a non-iGPU model then you're good.
    Don't really know what you mean by 'flashing the chips to the chip in the bios', but if you meant that you flashed that binary I've provided to the 1MB chip you had erased previously then no. The Dell bios wouldn't be able to id the Clevo card anyway, but that is inconsequential. What matters is that the OS can identify it as a peripheral device and that the Nvidia driver can be installed.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. benc122

Reputations:
    @t456 i ordered a updated motherboard with 5200u and 960m and all I need to get a new touchpad but I really don’t use it since it’s crappy in the first place so I guess I let it stay broke until then

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I recently purchased an Alienware 13 R1 with a corrupt bios, the previous owner was updating from a04 to a08 and it froze on them and after a few days it didn't change so he pulled the power.

I've been unable to find a good dump of the bios, @benc122 Would you be able to send me a bios dump from your system or the dump you purchased on that forum? It will be very appreciated :-D

The system currently powers on, lights go on for about 3 seconds then it turns off and does the same thing, after a few times it repeats 7 beeps.

I tried flashing the bios with programer and SOC clip using /writeromfile to extract the original but that didn't work.

I have been unable to find a .bin dump that doesn't have some pay wall in front of it.

Would someone be kind to share their full .bin dump with me as it's required for flash programer recovery. I hope someone has one they can share. Thank you :)

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    /writeromfile skips some files and not compatible for SPI flashing. Full SPI Dump is 16.8MB.
    Ask @t456 if he can make SPI flashable BIOS for 13r1. He's a Dumbledore for us.

Johndill likes this.
  8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Johndill like this.
  9. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    YES!! Victory! Thank you so much mate! Your binary on page 6 does work! :-D

It was a straight erase and flash, thankfully it worked as I was a fool and forgot to backup the original when I tried my first flash on it when I got this laptop.

After flashing I got the sweet sound of 5 beeps and knew it was working from their, picture attached. Thank you thank you! :-D

It is BIOS A04, my service tag is correct but discrete GPU is "none", I'll have to get windows installed and update the BIOS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Vasudev and t456 like this.