Alienware 13 r1 bios bricked

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by benc122, May 8, 2019.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, you two :vbsmile: .

@benc122 ,
    Did you use the programmer to flash those two binaries you've bought?

If so, then the system should be running fine again. I could make some flashable binaries for an R1, but iirc that site is legit and their binaries should work too. You could send them via a pm and I could verify them, if you like. Don't upload and link directly; it's their work and livelihood, after all.

Anyway, once you've flashed the eeproms make sure to read them out right after and do a hex compare with the binary you've flashed. If there's a (partial) write-protect then not all parts may have been written to correctly. Same thing with a poor connection, non-supported chip, defective chip or an eeprom that is incompatible with in-system programming.

edit:
    Hmm ... already seem to have made a binary once for the eeprom that stores the ec+me+bios. Quite a while ago and haven't checked the version, but it's either an A03 or A07:
    Alienware 13 R1 bios.7z

That is the 64 Mbit eeprom tagged 'W25Q64' on that alex repair site, but it could be a different brand and model on your particular motherboard revision. Only thing to make certain is that it is a 64 Mbit size chip; for instance, a 32+32 combination could have a different layout, so the bios+ec on one chip and the me on another. Would have to split the binary into two parts then, of course.

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. benc122

benc122 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don’t worry I brought another motherboard with the a08 bios for $125 and my test clip is broken

But before it comes I wanna fix my clip and do this one more time you have the bios files and all I need to do is just flash the chip that’s by my ram module?

@Mr. Fox how do I fix the wire for my soic clip?

3. benc122

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox @t456 I just ordered another soic 8 clip and it’s supposed to be here Sunday I cannot give up on this motherboard just yet I’ve came so far to quit now!! Onwards until Sunday and is the bios chip by the ram module or the one by the cmos battery ?

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am not sure where the BIOS chip is on your motherboard. I have never examined one to be able to tell you where to look. It sounds like @t456 told you which file was the correct one to flash. You could also use the SPI programmer to dump the BIOS from the motherboard you purchased to flash to the bricked motherboard if they are the same part.

Vasudev and c69k like this.
  5. benc122

Reputations:
    Oh he sent me the bios dump I’m just waiting for my clip to come Sunday

@t456 can you send me the download link for the Alienware 13 r1 bios dump?

@Mr. Fox i think the download link he gave me expired I need those files

6. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    I've changed the link; made an error when copy/pasting.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. benc122

Reputations:
    @t456 do I rename the .rom to .bin?

There’s another chip that I erased that was the 1byte size one

@t456 it fixed my pc but my AlienFX lights are glitching with the screen flickering every time I plug in my pc and also my keyboard isn’t working as well

And I have another problem with the bios it’s saying that there no discrete graphics @Mr. Fox

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am not sure what the issue is. I have no experience with that model. The issues you are describing sound like some things that could go along with an EC that is corrupted. Just a guess on my part.

9. benc122

Reputations:
    What’s the 1mbyte chip consist of? @Mr. Fox because I erased it and didn’t put nothing on there

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It could be, but I do not know and I do not want to give you instructions that could make the problem worse. Alienware started doing things differently when I abandoned the brand and I haven't tried to stay current on their practices.

Vasudev and c69k like this.