Alienware 13 OLED vs Sager P950HR

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Hujatey, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Hujatey

Hujatey Newbie

Reputations:
    After much research (and some reddit help) I've narrowed down my search for a relatively portable 1060/1070 laptop to two: The Alienware 13 and the Sager P950HR.

I can purchase both at exactly the same price, after tax. Here are the specs for both:

Alienware 13 (OLED) 2k 13" OLED screen 8GB RAM GTX 1060 256GB SSD (Unspecified) Killer Wireless 1535

Sager P950HR FHD 60hz 15.6" screen 16GB RAM GTX 1070 Max-Q 250GB Samsung Evo 960 Standard intel WiFI card

Here's why I'm torn; on paper, both are very well-built laptops (in different ways) and have decent thermals. The Sager has all-around superior specs for the same price and has a slightly larger screen. However, the Alienware should have slightly longer battery life and an OLED screen.

The main point of contention for me is the OLED screen; I'd be going down from a 1070 Max-Q to a 1060 (unsure how significant the difference is), a 960 SSD to a stock SSD, and 16GB RAM to 8GB RAM (not a huge deal). I'm pretty flexible on the form factor, and screen size isn't an issue. Would you all say that the tradeoffs are worth it to get an OLED screen? All the reviews I've looked at have said it's mindblowingly good.

*On a purely emotional basis, I'm leaning towards the Alienware 13. IMO it looks great and the OLED screen should be fantastic. However, I wanted to get some other opinions before I sprang for one or the other.

2. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The OLED screen is amazing and, personally, I think it's worth the premium so I would go with the 13 R3.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OLED is love, OLED is lyfe.

4. Hujatey

Hujatey Newbie

Reputations:
    What about heating issues? I've read many, many horror stories about 100c temps.

5. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    AFAIK those never affected the 13 and have mostly been resolved.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Also - 1070MQ is barely faster than a normal 1060. It's quite overpriced.

7. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's basically fixed now and if you did get a bad unit you could always exchange it or replace it.

don_svetlio likes this.