alienrespawn and an SSD

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Gunnkeeper, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunnkeeper

Gunnkeeper Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i just read the helpful thread preserving your factory settings on a disc or flashdrive

and theres a part in there saying its possible to do the factory reinstall on to the ssd but there have been case were people have had problems installing factory restore to the ssd??

i wanna know if people have had sucsess without doing the clean install and using the factory restore settings onto a new ssd

2. ZombiePikmin

ZombiePikmin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know for a fact that there are people here who successfully restored via alienrespawn from a hdd image to a new SSD with no major issues.

...but i also know that some here wont recommend it. When i upgraded to a SSD, i had a factory image via alienrespawn ready to be restored...but after some convincing from the more elite members in this forum, it was better to just do a clean install with my new SSD.

The only real argument was that you're not going to get optimal SSD speeds if you're respawning from an HDD image. How much does it affect speed? it varies. could be neglible, or could be alot. Havent heard any major complaints around here about any major slowdowns though.

Personally i recommend to just do a clean install on the SSD. If you follow the guides on this forum, you can have everything set up with your SSD in a little over an hour (if that)

3. Gunnkeeper

Reputations:
    K that makes sense man thank you
    Guess I can't be lazy LOL

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can always try the respawn. It was made for this very purpose. I plan to try it first, if it doesn't work, I'll format and install windows myself. Nothing to lose by trying. If it works, you save yourself from hours of updates and driver installation.

5. Gunnkeeper

Reputations:
    yea ill try it out. test the speeds to and see haha i might just do a clean install and just stash the factory image were ill find it lol

6. Gunnkeeper

Reputations:
    is the windows 7 install driver guide thread the same for windows 8????

7. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    Windows 8 on an M18? What a waste-my opinion.

Tell ya what I did. Got the laptop from Dell. Never powered it on. Pulled the stock hard drive and installed Windows 7 on an SSD from scratch and used the driver install guide you referred to. That way you can always go back to stock with the original HDD. I also tried to clone my HDD to my SSD and do a Respawn but it would never complete.

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Whatever you do, just make sure that when you get the machine, use AlienRespawn to create recovery media and keep it safe - seen so many people NOT do this and then, after they reformat the original drive, their factory installation is gone forever. Make sure you do this ASAP - then you can mess about all you like with resapwning to your SSD (if you wanna try that). It's probably always more beneficial to do a clean install to a new drive to ensure that you have correct drive alignment etc. so I'd advise doing that. Saying that, I have respawned in the past without issue - when I wanted to get back to an "up and running" OS quickly, it was handy to be able to do so.

Windows 8? - I took the plunge and to be honest, I quite like it. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's not a bad OS by any means....in fact, it has some advantages over Windows 7....if you want to clean install Windows 8, most of the drivers are done automatically - you will probably have to do a few such as Command Center and OSD, Audio Drivers, Freefall Sensor, Card Reader and Touchpad.....other than those few, it's pretty straightforward. I'd suggest having a read through this thread if you wanna take the jump.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...enware-official-windows-8-support-thread.html

9. Gunnkeeper

Reputations:
    comes wiht windows 8 :D i got windows 7 on my hp right now so might as well check it out on my new machine.
    thanks for the info. i got everything figured out now, just need to do proper driver installs and in order.

nothing like preparing for something awesome. and you got the mind set to do it when its there LOL :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.