AlienFX Problems/Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Zxtole, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zxtole

Zxtole Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I had to format my drive because I wanted raid 0, well after I finished it went fine nothing was wrong. I started installing all drivers/applications in the order provided in the sticky, restarting when asked to etc.

When I went to install the command center it failed for some reason and I was unable to install it. After I restarted all the lights were off and I couldn't get them back on. I was also unable to get rid of the botched version I installed in programs so I decided to stick in the CD and format again.

Now I have everything installed fine, I can run the command center, but under FX there isn't anything to turn on, its blank. Sense works, touch works, everything is fine except that.

I tried going into a theme and deleting the current, opening an advanced, creating new themes, pretty much everything you can imagine and restarting with nothing working. I have the tact X mouse and that shows up, but nothing else.

Also I tried the battery discharge trick as well, nothing, is there any fix for this or do I have to give dell a call and figure it out?

AlienFX Problems/Questions Thread

2. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have been noticing several posts lately concerning AlienFX and issues with custom themes, errors, etc. Since they are scattered amongst the various model sub-forums, I figured the best thing to do is create a central thread where these posts could be made. This will help to maintain visibility and provide the forum with an opportunity to better assist each other.

So, if you are having an issue with creating a custom AlienFX profile/theme or are seeing an odd error, post here.

For Command Center general issues, please continue posting in the Command Center thread -
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-m11xr1-r2-m15x-m17xr2-discussion-thread.html

We also have an updated list (as of 07/01/2010) from Bill-B of Dell which lists the current gaming titles that incorporate AlienFX into the game - see this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/465100-games-support-alienfx.html

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    If you are running the latest version of Command Center on your Alienware M15x (or any other Dell/AW system), you cannot revert to the older version contained in the Resource DVD that was shipped with your system. Customers who reinstall Windows or uninstall Command Center and then reinstall must be careful to not use the Resource DVD or an older version of CC to reinstall Command Center, as firmware on your system board may become corrupted.

(src:http://forum.notebookreview.com/6507793-post1.html)

-----------------------------------------------------

Regarding AlienFX and Music playback apps - LightFX style:

For M11xR3, M14x, M17xR3 and M18x owners ONLY-

Open up winamp, windows media player or itunes and play a selection. Go to your audio player's settings/config and select visualizations.

You shouldn't have to move any plugins from the CC/Mediaplugin directory.

EDIT: The WMP plugin will not have to be moved. not sure about Itunes or winamp.

Windows Media Player walk-through:
    1. Launch WMP
    2. Select an MP3 and play
    3. CTRL+3 to show the Now Playing window
    4. Right Click in window ----> Visualizations ----> Alienware AlienFX ----> Default
    5. Enjoy the AlienFX Light Show.
    6. When exiting Windows Media Player, your LEDs will go dark for a moment. Don't worry - the last active theme will return in a second or two. AlienFX is cycling out of third party access and returning to the last theme file saved.

Not sure about Winamp or iTunes as I was not able to test/mess with these when I had access to an R3.

Current version of Command Center for the first gen Dell/AW lappies (M11xR1/R2, M15x and M17xR1/R2) does not offer this. Alienware has not released the newest Command Center on the older platforms.

There may be differences between the two so for owners of the previous platforms, I do not suggest trying to use the New Model version of CC. Might brick your AlienFX firmware.

In Windows Media Player,

Tools ----> Options ----> Plugins Tab ----> Highlight 'Alienware AlienFX' ----> Click Properties

Selection window will open. See attached (from my desktop AW - same though for the 11xR3, 14x, 17xR3, 18x since this is the integrated plugin in the new model CC release).

Hope this helps...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. himesh1042

himesh1042 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice idea BatBoy!:yes: Now there won't be many threads about alien fx cluttering the forum.

4. SakuraKarin

SakuraKarin Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm having the same problem. I bought my m17 some time ago. It came with Vista x86 installed. I got in on the Windows 7 RC, at which point the Command Center stopped working properly. When I would attempt to use Fusion, the program would freeze up and I'd have to force it to close. When the RC expired, I used AlienRespawn to revert back to Vista so I could upgrade to the full version of Windows 7 x86.

After a fairly recent Windows update, I began having issues with FastAccess, and along with it, BSoDs referring to BAD_POOL_CALLER. The SensibleVision website stated to get rid of the FastAccess issue, I would need to update to a newer version of Command Center, only to find out, it appears, 32-bit OS's are no longer supported for the M17. I new installed Windows 7 x64 and installed the new version of Command Center. That resolved the FA/blue screen issue, as well as Fusion locking up, however now I receive the same unhandled exception, when clicking quit, it pops up a dialog box from AlienFX Controller with error text. I am currently running .NET Framework 4.0.

Also, if any of you know about this, with this reinstall of Windows 7, the pop ups on screen showing the volume/battery (un)plugged/screen brightness/etc no longer appear. Is there any way to get these back?

And is AlienRespawn even a possibility at this point, having installed a new version of Windows?

-Sakura

5. SakuraKarin

SakuraKarin Newbie

Reputations:
    I've previously posted this in an older thread so as to not create an additional thread for the same issue. I'm having 'unhandled exceptions' with AlienFX. I bought my m17 some time ago. It came with Vista x86 installed. I got in on the Windows 7 RC, at which point the Command Center stopped working properly. When I would attempt to use Fusion, the program would freeze up and I'd have to force it to close. When the RC expired, I used AlienRespawn to revert back to Vista so I could upgrade to the full version of Windows 7 x86.

After a fairly recent Windows update, I began having issues with FastAccess, and along with it, BSoDs referring to BAD_POOL_CALLER. The SensibleVision website stated to get rid of the FastAccess issue, I would need to update to a newer version of Command Center, only to find out, it appears, 32-bit OS's are no longer supported for the M17. I new installed Windows 7 x64 and installed the new version of Command Center. That resolved the FA/blue screen issue, as well as Fusion locking up, however now I receive the unhandled exceptions, when clicking quit, it pops up a dialog box from AlienFX Controller with error text. I am currently running .NET Framework 4.0.

Also, if any of you know about this, with this reinstall of Windows 7, the pop ups on screen showing the volume/battery (un)plugged/screen brightness/etc no longer appear. Is there any way to get these back?

And is AlienRespawn even a possibility at this point, having installed a new version of Windows?

-Sakura

6. madchild

madchild Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just got my M11xR2 today, and I am having some issues with AlienFX

After using the computer for a few hours, and playing around with some colors I started getting an error that says:

"The device you have selected is included in the current theme, but AlienFX cannot detect this device on your system. Do you want to remove this device from the current theme?" If I select yes, there is no computer displayed in AlienFX (Showing which zones are what), and if I say no it displays the zones but does not respond.

I am unable to change the colors, and its stuck on colors that I didnt choose. The keyboard is blank, speaker lights are green, Alien head is yellow and the Alienware logo is red.

I have tried to uninstall, and reinstall Command Center with no luck. I tried calling support, but after 20 minutes of being unsuccessfully transferred around, they just hung up on me.

Does anyone have any insight?

7. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try this:

Create a new Theme in AlienFX (open Command Center -> enter AlienFX -> close the current theme -> create a new theme).

8. Stylfan

Stylfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How can you disable the lights in the keyboard? And the logo on the back?

Can you even?

9. madchild

madchild Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ive gotten that problem sorted. For some reason a driver didnt install properly with Command Center, so I had to uninstall CC, then remove the battery and discharge by holding the power button. After that, reinstalling CC made Alien FX work again.

Next problem: When playing CitiesXL, the lights freak out. Literally changing colors every second... even the two speaker lights change colors seperately. Also, the FN+AlienFX button does not disable AFX

10. Phoestre

Phoestre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.