AlienFX Pidgin + Winamp plugin

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Ingrater, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apolopes

apolopes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome tip, just tried it out and it works great. Just dont do that in starbucks ;)

2. Ingrater

Ingrater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since quite some people are having problems with the plugin I'm going to make some kind of FAQ to help with the issues. I will also link this in the first post to make it easier to find.

Troubleshooting:

Q: When I start the plugin it displays the error message "No AlienFX device found"

A: Your laptop is not supported by the default installtion of the plugin. It is however possible to make it work using the "alienfx_vis_devices.xml" file.
    Search this thread. Quite some people have uploaded their device xml files and might have already created a devices xml that will fit your laptop.
    If you don't find a devices xml file that fits your laptop you can create one yourself following this guide: Creating a device xml

If you have a "alienfx_vis-devices.xml" place it inside your C:\Users\<Your Username>\appdata\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins directory.

Q: When using the plugin it freezes every now and then. How can this be fixed?
    A:This can happen if to many zones are configured and / or the type of music you are playing has too many beats. This can be fixed by adding the following line to the alienfx_vis_config.xml.
    HTML:
    <maxupdaterate value="20.0" />
    Add it directly below the "delay" tag so it looks like this:
    HTML:
    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <config>
        <!-- How much delayed the beat displaying is. If it blinks to late increase this value, if it blinks to early decrease it. -->
        <!-- this value has to be >= 0 !! -->
        <delay value="0" />
        <!-- how often commands will be send to the AlienFX device -->
        <maxupdaterate value="20.0" />
        <!-- below are all saved values from the sliders -->
        <energy>
    The value of "maxupdaterate" has to be between 1 and 25. The default value is 25. (The maximum is 25 because with higher values you could deadlock your AlienFX device) The value defines how many times per second the plugin checks for beats and sends it to the device. That means if you lower that value, less commands will be send to the AlienFX device and it will be less likely to freeze, but it will also react slower to beats. The "alienfx_vis_config.xml" file can be found in your C:\Users\<Your Username>\appdata\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins directory

Q: I used the plugin and my AlienFX does not work at all anymore. What can I do?

A: Try reseting your AlienFX using the Command Center. If that does not work try rebooting your laptop. If that still does not work, shut your laptop down. Remove the power supply and the battery from the laptop and wait 5 minutes. Without power the AlienFX device will do a complete reset and should be back to normal if you boot your laptop again.

3. evoandroidevo

evoandroidevo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone got a good config file :D

4. hockeykid

hockeykid Newbie

Reputations:
    This is my first time on here so sorry if i dont do things quite right... But i have a m17x r4 laptop that i am trying to get the keyboard to blink so i put the files in the right place according to this tutorial i watched on youtube but i used Kross7 file and changed the end to xml. I now get an error message that says "coundn't find main node 'config' " i dont know what this means for what i did wrong so any help would be great :)

Just to be clear i put that file from kross7 here \AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins

5. LinkCloud

LinkCloud Newbie

Reputations:
    You'll find me on page 6 at the bottom. I never got around to using this project but I'll contribute to the old m17x R1 users.

If you are still around I have the plugin for our computer with the setting file to get your "light show" working.

Again this is for the m17x R1. Not sure if it will work for the others. Setup worked amazing for me.

~LC

Attached Files:

6. ducatis4life

ducatis4life Newbie

Reputations:
    hello,

i have a mx17 r4 and when i try to install the plugin, it doesn't work

can anyone please help me

thank you in advance

7. evoandroidevo

evoandroidevo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm going to guess u have a m17x r4 so then u need a device.XML he talks about in the first post I could give u the one I have tomorrow when I have the time to upload it

Sent From My Rooted E3D

8. titi974

titi974 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, after searching everywhere in that looooong post, I finally managed to find one almost working config file for the M17X R4... only problem was the middle left part of the keyboard not correctly assigned... as I saw that the keyboard was recognized as M17X R3 I thought that using a config file coming from that model would work but I did not find it .... so I tweaked the value corresponding to the zone not working and guess what ? It works !
    So I'm uploading here the files for you guys as I think it's going to help many people ! =)
    Remember it's for Winamp only. It is for m17x r4 (maybe r3 ... I don't know, you'll have to check it out).

this files are to be placed in :

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins

I advise you to follow this guide and replace (once everything installed) the files needed by mine ;)

Alienware AlienFX Winamp Plugin Tutorial | AnthonyDamasco.net

(update: sorry I reuploaded as I forgot to reapply the value to enable the alienware logo to work :rolleyes:)

Guys, I'm uploading a video to show you all the result :D

Attached Files:

9. titi974

titi974 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Lod

Lod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lord_Zath can you share your alienfx_vis_config.xml .. i love your videos, nice Setting there bro :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.