AlienFX Pidgin + Winamp plugin

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Ingrater, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tchamber

Tchamber Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    +1 rep my friend!
    Wow, I did more reading on this thread than any other, ever! LOL. Great project Inrater, I had a lot of problems getting the download to work, but finally it did, and it works great! And thanks Lord Zath for being the guinea pig for us. This is the coolest customization ever.

2. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no problem. It was pretty cool having someone from Germany take over my computer!

3. anthonydamasco

anthonydamasco Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Everyone.

I had a great deal of trouble figuring out how to setup the winamp plugin for my alienware laptop. The light kit seems to be very sensitive to this kind of thing and through trial and error I got it to work. While the read me document in the fx plugin download was helpful. It still left me cursing and frustrated when things went wrong.

So I created a video tutorial as well and a supporting blog entry with some information not talked about in the Read me file. I hope some one can benefit from my hard work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3WW3NOLdV4

*see link in description for full info

4. Ingrater

Ingrater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Ochameau
    Could it be that you are trying to read 9 bytes from the device? All new Alienfx devices only answer with 8 bytes.

@Others:
    Glad you like it!

5. Ochameau

Ochameau Newbie

Reputations:
    No, I'm already reading 8 bytes :(
    In fact, when I try to read more it blocks, but when I try to read 8 or less, the readfile function just fails immediatly.

Did you get my mail address ?
    And don't worry if you code is not perfect, I'm used to read a lot of code :)

6. BigwaveMx

BigwaveMx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This hapends to me too. After a few minutes, the lights stops, and the only way to enable again is putting AlienFX in dark mode (switching between dark and normal config).
    Model: Alienware M11XR2
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Winamp Version: 5.601
    What you did that caused the crash: No crash occurred
    How the crash effected the plugin (does it still work?): Shutdown or freeze the lights. Switching between dark and normal mode of AlienFX fix this (for a while).

7. alien admin

alien admin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    having same issue as bigwavemx....would be cool if we could get this to stable
    mx11r2 i5

8. Doctor Magneto

Doctor Magneto Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,

I've downloaded plugin, installed following instructions, but unfortunately, the plugin doesn't work, just nothing happens, my AlienFX shows the actual theme. The plugin is possible to activate and configure, but the AlienFX lights are not flashing. Winamp's version is 5,6 and my system's specs are in my sign.

I would be very grateful if you could help me to make it working.

Thank you in advance,

Cheers :)

9. Doctor Magneto

Doctor Magneto Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've just tried it with the other version of winamp, it is actually the same, 5.6, but the previous was the cracked one. May be because of that thing this plugin was inactive. Now everything is working perfectly.

Thanks for this stuff, and +1000rep :)

PEACE

10. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    m11xr2 user here all working fine however it cannot be used with sds audio soundbox :(
    i even selected sds in the winamp as soundcard but no luck so if you have the sds software installed , you have to set your speakers as default playback dvice for the pluggin to work , wish blows cause sds sounds sooo goood!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.