1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

AlienFX Pidgin + Winamp plugin

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Ingrater, Sep 21, 2009.

1. misterb

misterb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    my bad it works, but when I stop or try to change visualization it crashes. shame tho, because it's a cool program. Also is it normal that when you stop all the lights stop working?

And does the pidgin plugin work for the m11x?

It btw crashes all the time

2. Ingrater

Ingrater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you stopping / changing the visualization while the music is playing? Because this is a known bug, and I don't know why it crashes. Could be simply avoided by first stop the music and then change / quit the plugin.

I didn't have time yet to build an m11x version fot he pidgin plugin. I will look into that as soon as I find time for it.

3. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was getting constant crashes at first. I completely removed Winamp and reinstalled it. Suddenly no crashes. Give that a try. I'm using the latest winamp (5.57). Ingrater was using 5.56. The plugin works for both versions.

But PLEASE post the requested information in the readme file. We need to know:
    Model:
    Operating System:
    Winamp Version:
    What you did that caused the crash:
    How the crash effected the plugin (does it still work?):

4. mevlar

mevlar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My winamp plugin is only working on the left of the keyboard , on the speakers and the alienware logo, i've reinstalled winamp once already and it crashes when ever I quit the plugin. I have Windows 7 64bit. winamp compleatly freezes and i have to end the operation.
    v5.572 winamp on M15x
    i used the configuration in the readmefile

5. Ingrater

Ingrater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you change the model inside the vis_alienfx_config.xml file?
    What m15x do you have? All powerfull or area51?

6. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    mevlar, a couple troubleshooting ideas.

1. Did you make sure you properly edited the config file by putting in the correct number for your model laptop?

2. Are you using the latest version of Command Center? I remember Dell came out with one that was even buggier than the older ones so we were all advised to stick with the older one (AO3 perhaps?)...

3. Are you closing out of winamp at once, or are you stopping winamp, then closing it?

7. PCG4m3r

PCG4m3r Newbie

Reputations:
    Works great! Winamp freezes when i end it sometimes, but other than that it works flawlessly. Great work. Keep up the good work, and Thank YOU!

8. mevlar

Reputations:
    I've just entered my model number into the config but it did not fix any problems. also the colours don't change from the light blue that it is already configured at with alienfx.

I'm not sure what version of command center i'm using.

I close the plugin before trying to quit winamp but it's at the point where i close the plugin that it freezes winamp.

Edit: Re configured the zones and now the colours work but the right side of the keyboard and speakers still don't light up

When i go into edit zones there is no right/left areas or speakers. just Touchpad, Lightpipe, alienware logo, alienhead, keyboard and touchpad which doesn't match some of the zones on the readme

9. H1zi

H1zi Newbie

Reputations:
    @mevlar: first i had exactly the same problems as you.
    i entered the model number into the wrong line.

<!-- set your laptop model here -->
    <!-- 0 = area51 m15x -->
    <!-- 1 = all powerfull m17x -->
    <!-- 2 = all powerfull m15x -->
    <!-- 3 = all powerfull m11x -->
    <model value="2" />
    enter it here

<model value="2" />
    here

sry, this doesnt work very well and im new here :)

10. mevlar

Reputations:
    Right lights problem has been fixed now. Had to add model number a second time as it seems with configurations already in place, it overwrote the model number back to 0 after i changed it.