1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

AlienFX Pidgin + Winamp plugin

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Ingrater, Sep 21, 2009.

1. skillz1333

skillz1333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is to help those who are looking to have the Alien fx plugin light show work for winamp on the m17x r3.(there is actually away to use it on itunes as well which i think works better).The winamp version dosent matter , it can be the newest or the older version (5 and up id use).To get this to work in winamp when playing music for the lightshow, You go to Computer/Program files/Alienware/commandcenter/Media plugin/Winamp/ you then copy the contents (wamp) and then go to Computer /program files(x86)/winamp/plugins/ and paste the wamp plugin file here ,,, it will now work in winamp. The alternate (to me better) method is with itunes ,, you will again go to,,, Computer/Program files/Alienware/commandcenter/Media plugin/Itunes/ you then copy the contents (witunes) to /// click start , then click your user name on the top of the start menu to the right (must have show hidden files enabled in windows to see the appdata folder) Then click appdata / roaming /apple computer/itunes/itunes plugins/ and paste the witunes plugin here.This will enable the light show in both apps and it can also be configured in both under visualizations.If the lights freeze on your board at any time just go dark then go light to unfreeze them, the itunes works really good with it but you have to be in show visualizer for it to work.I have discovered many things about the alien fx and have began working with the sdk.I will be releasing some really exclusive themes soon.I hope this helps you all out , If any of you would like to join up to work on this some more let me know.............Why go through it besides its cool to cap sometimes in starbucks ? lol did you know the media panel and mouse trim led can morph , pulse and many other things ? speakers two different colors ? , controlled individual zone tempo ? so far i have accomplished all of these things and just wanna take it a little further, let me know , any help is appreciated. M17x r3 with 3d 120hz, best period!!!

2. skillz1333

Reputations:
    Just want to let the M17x r3 users know this is not true, it will not work with the the plugin from the site.I tried it with every version every setup and in all comp modes.The plugin on the site has a different setup for the alienfx and will not recognize the fx device.sorry just wanted to clear that up so no one else waste hours trying to make it work like i did , when it wont.

3. steve1ddd

steve1ddd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    same here....no dice

4. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    OMG are people still using winamp? :eek:

5. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So just responding, I'm using winamp 5.61. I followed the instructions on the readme and put the files in the right place. However instead of using Alienfx visualization plugin as stated in the readme, I used Alienware AlienFX as the plugin.

If you want to configure the settings, you hit the configure button from the plugin select window and mess with it from there. I only say it works because the lights flashed and whatnot, but I'd have to get the exact layout from LordZath to make it look cool.

Edit: responding to skillz: When you say not working, you mean the lights flat out do not flash right? Or do you mean not working as in it doesn't do it in a certain pattern you want?

6. skillz1333

Reputations:
    Hum ? thats strange. On the m17x r3 you dont have to put any other files.only the one single plugin located in the location i described in the previous post.you actually dont have to download any other files at all using the method i posted as they are already on your alienware.

Lol , thats what i was sayin lol .I love it for itunes . it seems to pick up the beat alot better for the light show.

(Alien fx light
    show will also work in windows media player if you dont like itunes or winamp)

7. cyriljustin

cyriljustin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does this work on my m11x r2?

8. ToxicTension

ToxicTension Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Media Plugin folder doesn't exist on my computer. But it's also a M15x.

9. skillz1333

Reputations:
    Sorry , I only have the M17x r3.I noted it was for the m17x users.But if you can tell me if the lighting system is the same on the m11x or m15x ?

10. ToxicTension

Reputations:
    I believe the M15x and the M17x have the same number of lighting zones. However, the M15x doesn't have a numpad. Not sure if this would make too much of a difference.

11. Neogohan1

Neogohan1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I use winamp cause of the MilkDrop plugin, most amazing visualizations i've ever seen.

12. shehrozasim

shehrozasim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So guys i saw a couple vid on youtube with ppl actually running a similar plugin on the R3 in itunes and stuff. any updates or new plugins let me know plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

13. F4ng

F4ng Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Man this is great and easy !!! Also im happy that it works in iTunes because safes the hassle of wamp. This made my day =]

14. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    glad it's working!

15. shehrozasim

shehrozasim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. got it to work. let us know when ur able to make the spks different and the touch pad morph

16. Ingrater

Ingrater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With some help of Nils Reichert I was able to modifiy my AlienFX Winamp plugin so that it now supports the M17X R3. It should also support the M15X R3 now as the used AlienFX devices should be the same.

The new version of the plugin can be downloaded at: Ingrater’s 3D Blog Winamp AlienFX Plugin

The source code can be downloaded at: Ingrater’s 3D Blog AlienFX Winamp plugin update & source

Again, if the plugin misses some LEDs for your laptop, or completely lacks support for you laptop please run this program and send me the results:
    http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/Files/file.php?id=10
    If the program tells you that it did not find a AlienFX device, please contact me.

I don't think that it is possible to add morphing, unless you do it manually, because as it is right now, the plugin sends a lot of commands to the AlienFX device and everytime a command is beeing send the morphing that the device does gets reset. To allow slow music to use morphing the beat detection algorithm would have to be rewritten completely and I don't have time for that.

Just tested the plugin with the latest version of winamp (5.61). Works fine for me. When you update winamp, the installer deletes all files in the winamp root directory. So make shure to copy the "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll" back to your winamp root directory after a update. As a alternative you also can copy the "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll" to your Windows/System32 directory. If you do that, you do not have to worry about winamp deleting it during a update.

Kind Regards
    Ingrater

17. Aspiring Monkey

Aspiring Monkey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For some reason I can't get this to work for my m11x r3. The error occurs when I try to turn the alienfx visualization on. I've moved all the files correctly, yet it says "Alienware Device not found. Plugin not active!" If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

18. steve1ddd

steve1ddd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    dont download the plugin look back in this thread and use the plugin that comes with the command center.....no reason to download the winamp plugin anymore...the native one works on winamp, windows mediaplayer and itunes...

19. Ingrater

Ingrater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The m11x r3 is not supported yet. I would need someone with a m11x r3 to help me figure out some values, to be able to support it.

What features does the native plugin have? Does it work well? Do you have some videos of it?

20. ToxicTension

Reputations:
    Is there support for the m15x yet?