1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

AlienFX Pidgin + Winamp plugin

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Ingrater, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Ingrater

Ingrater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm currently developing a Plugin for the Pidgin Messager and Winamp which uses the AlienFX to display events. The pidgin plugin is already working but the colors can not be set yet (they are hard programmed). If a few of you poeply would like to have the pidgin plugin too I would improve it and release it soon.

Furthermore I'm working on a winamp visualization plugin which uses AlienFX to display the beats. Currently the beat deteciton doesn't work porperly but I'm working on it. Who of you would be interested in this plugin?

I just wanted to know so that I know if the effort is worth it.

Finally I completely documented the protocol to communicate with the AlienFX device. It just needs some more polishing. I plan on releasing it soon. Who of you would be interested in that?

Regards Ingrater

P.s. I will be without internet for a few days so just don't wonder if I don't answer.

Edit: If you are searching for the download links: 3d.benjamin-thaut.de

Update 31.10.2010: I fixed the plugin. It does not longer crash winamp upon closing winamp or upon ending the plugin. Also it does now automatically detect which laptop is used, you don't need to hand edit config files any more.

Update 14.5.2011: Added support for the M17X R3 and M15X R3. Made sourcecode public: Download Sourcecode

Update 20.9.2011: Added support for a devices xml file. Which can be used by any user to add support for his laptop if it is not supported yet. See Anouncement post

Update 25.11.2011: New Alienware laptops now work using the devices xml file (m14x, m18x, etc)

Video tutorial: anthonydamasco was so kind to create a video tutorial on howto setup, you can find it here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/419484-alienfx-pidgin-winamp-plugin-48.html#post6937571

Troubleshooting FAQ: >>> Troubleshooting FAQ <<<

2. wizzkid1992

wizzkid1992 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    id love my keyboard to light along with my music, +10000 if you can release one :)

3. Encephalon9986

Encephalon9986 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree that would be amazing if this could be done. I am interested in seeing this happen.

4. The_Moo™

The_Moo™ Here we go again.....

Reputations:
    i can't program but i am not scared of beta testing

5. Thasee

Thasee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lmfao im with moo ill be more then happy to beta test! :)

6. unhip_crayon

unhip_crayon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Id love my keyboard to "dance" with my music

7. dwend

dwend Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you have time, you should make a plugin that displays team colors and hit detection(red flash) if hit in a FPS game. That would be cool, not sure about hardware limitations tho, but considering it can pulse on the M15x when programed in alienFx with out a issue I don't know why it won't work.

8. wizzkid1992

wizzkid1992 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    each and every game works differently, a new plugin would need to be made for each and every game.

9. Luxury

Luxury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I support this project

10. Snowm0bile

Snowm0bile Starcraftologist

Reputations:
    ill use it.

11. Ingrater

Reputations:
    I'm back. I haven't got a internet connection at home yet but hopfully won't be long until I have one. I've already got a working winamp plugin for my alienware mx15 laptop. It can display up to 400 bpms (theoretically). I also managed that the alienfx device is not crashing every 10 seconds (it was not made for displaying different colors this often) but I still have a few problems with the beat detection. I had to notice that it is not as simple as I thought it to be.

Another problem is that I only have a Alienware mx15 laptop. So I'm missing the information for the mx17 and alienware pc's (are there other laptops from alienware I did forget?). To fix this I need you guys to execute a small programm of mine which is collecting information about your alienfx device. After completion of this program you should please send me back the "results.log" file. The program does nothing evil. It simply tests all posible leds connected to a alienfx device and asks you if something has changed and what. The e-mail address to send it back to me is stated at the end of the program. You can download it here.
    http://stuff.benjamin-thaut.de/alienfx-leds-tester.zip

The warning at the begin of the program is just that I get no troubles with the law in the case that something goes wrong.
    If your alienfx device stops working while or after using the program you need to restart your pc to get it back up again (this hopefully doesn't happen). After the execution of the program all alienfxleds will be disabled. You need to reset them with the Alienware Alienfx Editor.

In case someone of you is interested in the pidgin plugin. It can be downloaded soon at http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de

@Game plugin
    It would be really hard to write such a plugin because it would have to be done for each game seperately. Furthermore games are not designed to support plugins. This means a sort of hack would be necessary and there begins the really nasty programming stuff.

Regards Ingrater

12. kobe

kobe Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm glad that I have an m15x then ;) I'll test this thing out and see how it goes. But first I'll have to download winamp.
    EDIT: where do I download the plugin for the AlienFX?

13. Konig

Konig Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ;)
    Waiting for the link too :)

14. Ingrater

Reputations:
    The pidgin plugin is now online.

Regards Ingrater

15. Konig

Reputations:
    Testing the notification works :)
    Great work!

16. kobe

kobe Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's good to hear that it works. Too bad I don't use pidgin... :(

17. Ingrater

Reputations:
    Start using it ;-)

18. Konig

Reputations:
    Yup, I've started today :p
    Just was waiting for someone to do something with AlienFX for a long time :cool:

19. Ingrater

Reputations:
    After completing my winamp and pidgin plugin I will release the specs for the alienfx protocoll so hopefully some more people will do something cool with AlienFX.

20. Konig

Reputations:
    I'm waiting for the Winamp one man! Best of luck for whats left on it :)