1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

AlienFX Lite (Linux + Windows AlienFX tool)

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Wattos, Feb 10, 2010.

1. mfractal

mfractal T|I

excellent program mate, ++rep for that!
    why aren't people sharing their themes ? :)

EDIT: sorry, no rep, must spread some...

2. CZroe

CZroe Notebook Evangelist

A couple suggestions, now that I've tried it:
    An option to save current state as a new profile would be useful for copying your AlienFX "full" scheme and modifying it from there. It would also simplify 1st time use/profile setup.

Some simple profiles, like "Red" and "Blue" built-in could help a lot too.

Simple color selectors like the full AlienFX app would be nice for color-blind fellows like myself. I have to guess if my specific color is close to what I had before. *shrug*

Pop-up tool-tips for the different effect would be helpful (hover over with mouse to see what it does, then select). The icons are way too small to tell what they might be trying to indicate and it's considered proper practice even if the meaning of each was obvious.

Yes, I know this is supposed to be "light," but it already does so much more, why not perfect it?

Anyway, I made simply "Red" and "Blue" profiles for "On Battery" and "External Power," and I encountereda few inconsistencies that are probably to be expected, seeing how the app interfaces:

The first time I set everything to Red, my default blue lights all went blank then, switched to red, then the keyboard went blank. Turning it off and on again had them all go red. It looked a little funny during the transition! One speaker grill red, one blue, then the blue goes blank when everything else seems to stabilize on red, then it finally comes on in red as it should be. It did the same thing when creating a Blue profile to switch back, but the keyboard didn't get stuck off.

Then, I set Blue to external power and Red to battery power and tested it. I unplugged and everything switched to red except my keyboard turned off completely! I plugged it back in, everything went blue and my blue keyboard came back on, unplugged and everything switched to red just fine. Weird.

Edit: Tried it again and the kayboardstuck on blue. Tried it again and the keyboard and left speaker were stuck on blue. Huh. Again after telling the full Alien FX to "Go Dark" and it all switched fine. Again, and a speaker remained blue. Again and a speaker remained red when plugged in. Again and a speakerturned off when plugged in. Again and all worked fine when unplugged and plugged in. ?!

3. trikster

trikster Notebook Evangelist

Did you happen to update your app to turn off the keyboard lights when you close the lid? Do you need command center installed for this to work?

4. sleve

sleve Newbie

Hi, error message on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bits

[​IMG]

Also try on windows 64 bits, but i have also a problem because i've try degradiant color on "media panel" on my AREA51-M15x, and now when i want to change it to a single color, the "media panel" bug.

Do you have an idea to restore my alienfx to default setting ? (don't work with alienfx, alienfxlite)

Sorry for my english, i'm french =)

5. Crozone

Crozone Notebook Guru

Just tried this on the M11x, works perfectly. Turns out that the M11x has more individual zones then the alienfx software lets on!

6. Crozone

Crozone Notebook Guru

Ok, so I'm trying to modify the AlienFX lights with my own code (for all powerful systems), I'm using C#, are there any DLLs that I can reference from an SDK? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question.

7. Wattos

Wattos Notebook Deity

hey, not totally wrong post. I will be probably rewriting this into daemon + front end version, where I will also supply a dll for third party apps. As for SDK, there should be the official alienware DLL's inside the Command Centre installation folder. It is quite limiting and slow though

8. RoachX

RoachX Notebook Enthusiast

Hey Wattos i would like to thank you for an awesome little tool. I've been hoping to ditch the Command center and your little app was just what I needed.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but after some quick googling I've found a method to launch the app on start up without a UAC prompt coming in, while still having UAC enabled.

Basically it involves using task scheduler.

I've tested it on my M11x with Windows 7 64 and so far it appears to work great. Just remember put "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" in the program field and use "-jar "C:\jar_location\AlienFXLite-0.4b.jar" -s" in the argument field .

I also had to put a 30 second delay on the trigger. Otherwise javaw.exe would load but the system tray icon would not show up. I think it might have something to do with the process loading before the taskbar and might only be relevant to my system.

9. nzgeek

nzgeek Notebook Evangelist

Aside from making a daemon or providing the DLLs for working with AlienFX, is it possible to document the protocols used for talking with the hardware? This may be easier for those who want to write tools in other languages, e.g. C# or Python.

10. twelve

twelve Newbie

Hi Wattos,

great work.I am using Ubuntu (x64) with the firs version of the m15x but AlienFX Lite 0.3 is not working (nothing happens when applying) and 0.4b crashes Linux.
    I successfully tried it with Windows XP (32-bit) and VirtualBox. But when i want to change the colors a second time i got the following error message
    "Error occured while trying to communicate with AlienFX device: Data length should be 9 but was 0"
    and the the whole USB-system of VirtualBox crashes.
    After shutting down the virtual machine and executing "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv restart" i can use AlienFX Lite again for one time.

As i saw in your signature you own the first version of the m15x too it would be great if you make it work with the x64-version of Ubuntu.

Robert

11. xeroxide

xeroxide Notebook Deity

watto's i love the program to bits
    there is one niggling issue which really bugs me however.

if i edit the colours for a while, the app will hang
    once it has hung, any animation/morphing in the theme will stop

only a full restart and power drain will fix it after this.

i'm using windows 7 x64.

once again tyvm and ++rep

12. fxd0h

fxd0h Newbie

REMOVED BY MOD -

DO NOT DISCUSS HACKINTOSH ITEMS

See forum rules.

Thanks.

-BatBoy

13. BobDorian

BobDorian Newbie

I would also definitely be interested in a documentation of the protocols or just a release of the source code for version 0.4 as that would be just as good. I have just recently bought a m11x and want to change the lights from inside a program without the restrictions that come with the alienfx sdk but, I am having trouble figuring out the protocol.

14. Ashtefere

Ashtefere Notebook Evangelist

Looks like a great tool!

Is there a way for your app to change the colors of the Alienware tactx devices (im pretty sure the keyboard is a G19 and mouse is a G9).

It would really complete the setup I have.

-Ash

15. Dax25

Dax25 Newbie

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to Linux, I have a M17X and have been trying to get AlienFX Lite to work but so far I've had bad luck. I have downloaded the first version from the url posted and it's I keep it in my downloads folder. I have installed Java and libusb-1.0-0 with out any problems. However, when I try to manually open the file "sudo java -jar AlienFXLite-0.1.jar “ I get an “Unable to access jarfile AlienFXlite-0.1.jar” I have tried many things but I have a feeling I'm doing something stupid and I'm going to want to hit myself when I figure it out. Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am running Ubuntu 10.04.

16. Konig

Konig Notebook Evangelist

You're sure you've downloaded v0.1? Current version is 0.4b.
    Change the path and it should work

17. Dax25

Dax25 Newbie

Hey,

I just want to be sure I understand because I am so new at this. When you say change the path do you mean change the Java path? If so what should I change it to? "which java" shows that it currently set to /usr/bin/java.

18. Dax25

Dax25 Newbie

nvm, I got it :) and yea I was doing some stupid lol thanks for the help I'm happy I actually decided to ask or else It would of taken a lot longer to realize what I was doing. Very Nice program :D

19. Tedster59

Tedster59 Notebook Consultant

Just installed on my m11x r2, and working great :D

+rep

20. Wattos

Wattos Notebook Deity

I dont have any of these, therefore I cannot reverse engineer nor test this for this stuff. As a matter of fact, I wanted to get the tactx keyboard, but its not available in europe (and Im addicted to the UK keyboard layout)

Glad it works out for you guys :)