Airflow to/via blower fan in CF31 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by sunrk, Dec 19, 2019.

1. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My Cf31 has a vent ran running almost continually given the hot weather. Where is the inlet for air and is it necessary to keep the inlet clear?

The computer is very warm to hot but not burny hot.

it's a Mk 3 CF31 if that makes any difference.

Ta.

2. Shellback

Shellback Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The inlet for cooling air on your CF-31 is through an odd shaped perforated grille at the front left corner. It is facing down, not to be confused with the speaker which faces forward. The grille can be easily removed by removing one large screw that holds the left side handle bracket.

The cooling air exhausts through a slotted opening above the battery compartment. That is where you will feel hot air blowing. The slotted opening has two screws holding it and can be easily removed. Behind this opening there is a radiator with copper or aluminum cooling fins. Internally, these fins contact a copper heat pipe which routes heat away from critical components.

CF-31_Fan (2).JPG In the middle, of course, is the fan. To inspect/clean the fan (see photo) access is gained by removing the bottom cover of the CF-31 and then remove the fan cover plate which is above the battery compartment. The fan can be lifted to inspect the opposite side.
    Do not paint your CF-31 Black!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    kode-niner and Shawn like this.
  3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Just an FYI.
    Different BIOS firmwares have different fan speed profiles.
    NO, I do not know which is which.
    I found this out while working on a military or phone company CF-31. The fan ran constantly even in cool temperatures. I force flashed the BIOS to a different version and then the fan performed normally. Might have been a mk2.
    My guess is the CF-31 in that application was used in a hot vehicle all day so they ordered a custom BIOS with a more aggressive fan profile.

My force flashing involves a programmer and a new BIOS chip, so (for future readers) don't bother messaging me for the magic BIOS exe file that you can flash at home.

kode-niner likes this.
  4. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Incidentally I tried controlling said fan under Linux with fancontrol and other utilities. I never could get it recognized through software so I abandoned the project after an hour's research and testing.

Shawn likes this.