AGA Size and 3080 compatibility

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Venat, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Venat

Venat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey folks naturally with the announcement of the new GPUs yesterday I was curious to see if I can still get a couple of years out of my setup (Alienware 13 + AGA).

Size wise the specs on the AGA are:
    Maximum length = 10.5"
    Maximum height = 4.37"
    Maximum width = dual slot

Although I find that's smaller than reality. I currently have an EVGA 1080 card in there which is already 10.5" but you can see I still have some room before I even level out with the PSU height wise and about 1.5" before the hinge length wise so the fit should work unless I missed something critical.

EVGA 1080: 10.5x4.5 dual slot
    Founders 3080: 11.2x4.4 dual slot

However, my bigger concern is the 4x BUS limitation with my laptop and the AGA. The way I understand this is, as long as you're not relying on CPU too much in game the 4x limitation isn't too bad, however the 3080s also have the ability to save information to SSD for faster reload and that might require some more BUS bandwidth. Perhaps a 3070 or 2080 TI will give me as much of an upgrade as the 3080 with this limitaiton? Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could be why AW was recently polling people about what they would like to see in the next aga. ill bet they are about to announce a new one.

etern4l likes this.
  3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where was this poll? I hope someone suggested an extra PCI-E slot in it for a sound card or such additions.

4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I have to remove the cover to fit a 3080 I have no issues. I also have no issues modify the crap out of the AGA in order to fit the new 3080 into it. 3090 I know for certain I won’t be getting.

I measured my old car and I think height clearance should not be an issue. The length however will hit one of the cover hinges which that can be removed and utilize only one for the cover.

etern4l likes this.