1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

After reading review's on the GETAC B300

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Rob™, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob™

Rob™ Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
  2. Zippy-Man

Zippy-Man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    WOW I want one too that thing looks NICE!!!!

I have never heard of them but man looks like they make a solid laptop

3. Rob™

Reputations:
    James, u've never heard of Getac???? they are like Panasonics biggest competitor!!

4. Outrigger

Outrigger SupaStar Reviewer

Reputations:
    Looks very nice. A nice contrast to the TB's silver and black scheme. But it does seem that many design cues are also taken from the TB CF30 such as the placement of the CD/DVD drive, the battery, ports and such as well as the integrated handle and the fanless design. However, I do like the color scheme in that it does give it a very professional/industry and sleeker look.

The price is comparable to a similarly equipped CF30 for those that are looking for more options. Competition is a good thing!

5. Rob™

Reputations:
    I don't know man because I think Getac has been doing this for as long as Panasonic. I've seen some older P3 400MHz models that look just like this model. Maybe they are copying from each other

6. Outrigger

Outrigger SupaStar Reviewer

Reputations:
    you're right, the older CF series does remind me of the Getac's other series of rugged notebooks. I'm sure they each inspire each other, nothing wrong with that. However, I still haven't seen anyone else use this brand. It seems at least in NYC that all/most law enforcement/fire dept/EMT as well as certain branches of the US military use the TBs. Maybe its because the TBs tend to be more mainstream and well known and they have more brand recognition.

7. Rob™

Reputations:
    Agreed... I've seen a few Getac's (Don't know the model) running on the Lombard Police Department... mostly in their individual under cover cop cars and mostly for contracted police men. When I see a Toughbook in the wild, I can take one glance and determine 70% of what it's got just by the way the person is using it and how it looks :D

8. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    No I never heard of GETAC. You learn something everyday :) I though that itronix was the panasonic's competitor. I am new to the toughbook world so I don't know a lot of things :)

At my work we use Itronix GoBook's and the techs there always talk about panasonic and how itronix is better ( ya friggen right )

The gobooks we have are no where near the quality of the toughbook. We break these things constantly but then again we are not nice to them. I have had 5 already and the one i have now is acting up. Too bad i cant just use my TB for work or i would but they do not support it here and good luck trying to get them to support it.

-James

9. Rob™

Reputations:
    WTF!? lol why not? support what?

10. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Well there are alot of reasons. One is the gobooks we use are locked down so bad with restrictions like no desktop no right click etc. Then we use a MBS dome on top of are trucks for wireless satellite connection anywhere we are(except under a bridge lol) Then are gobooks download our routes automatically at 1am in the morning through the phone line. There are many drivers and programs that I do not have on my toughbook.

Plus are tech support is in a different state so I cant goto them and say hey i want to use my toughbook which sucks.

-James

11. Rob™

Reputations:
    lol okay then!:p btw, why do you brag/mention your yellow tab battery in ur sig lol! looser!! j/k!! :D

12. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    LMAO well why not most have blue tabs. Ya know I gotta represent that 5-7hr battery life :)

13. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Oh ya I got a floppy too :tongue: lol

14. Rob™

Reputations:
    If you mail me the floppy I'll shoot it with my 9mm and mail it back to you free of charge! :D;)

15. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 1st thing I thought of when I saw it was Wow, they copied Panny.Competition is a great thing for us, the consumers, in a good and bad way. My new TB-30 will just be outdated soon, as each manufacture wants to stay on top. How long do you think Panny will let them claim they have the brightest display in the industry?

A perfect example of brand recognition, loyalty is when I was looking at rugged laptops. One company tried to talk me into that brand. My perception was that would be a step down in quality, etc. The name ToughBook is a world renowned name in the rugged market.

16. Rob™

Reputations:
    AMEN:notworthy: ... couldn't have put it any better, and you are **** right!!

17. Zippy-Man

Reputations:

LMFAO thats all I gotta say. :D

18. Iceman304

Iceman304 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I have been wearing tin with some town or another for quite a while but I have never heard of a "contracted policeman." What is that?

19. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a blue tab battery, but mine reads a capacity of 7.3Ah!! huh?

[​IMG]

20. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Mine shows a designed capacity of 84910 mWh and a fully charged capacity of 77700 mWh.

I guess your lucky :) most blue tabs are 6.8ah batteries and the yellow tabs are 7.65ah.

How long do you get out of your battery? I tried mine yesterday and I got over 6hr's of life with the screen brightness on medium. I also use standby which still uses power and the TB was on for over 14hr's all together. I shut it off after more than 6hr's of actual use and i still had 20% battery left.

That was a huge improvement over my blue tab battery where i would get about about 3-4hr's and it would die.

-James