After a month of Vista, I switched back to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by sp00n, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sp00n

sp00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Preface
    I have a ThinkPad X61s that came installed with Vista Basic. The laptop has the following hardware: 1.6Ghz LV C2D, 2GB of DDR2 Memory, and a 120GB Hard Disk.

Upon receiving my laptop, I quickly formatted the hard disk and installed Vista Business x64. The main reason why I chose the 64-bit edition was because of the full 4GB availability. The first thing I noticed about my laptop is that the Vista kept thrashing the hard disk after booting up. This would last for about 2-4 minutes. It was a little bit annoying because I could hear my hard drive clicking for that 2-4 minutes duration. Overall, my experience on Vista was mediocre. Programs definitely opened faster thanks to Superfetch Technology, but boot times were slow and it kept crashing every once in a while. After running Vista for about 1 month, I was curious about the performance of XP Pro.

After installing XP, I quickly noticed how much faster it booted up compared to Vista. The time was literally night and day. I haven't taken a stopwatch yet to measure the difference, but from my butt-dyno, the difference was definitely there. Furthermore, XP just feels more stable overall.

I don't believe Vista is ready to take over XP just yet. There's a benefit using older technology; all the bugs and quirks have been worked out. On Vista you're basically a guinea pig for Microsoft. Moreover, Lenovo has decided to stick to XP for the backbone computers in the 2008 Olympics because they feel Vista just isn't ready .(http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/15/lenovo-says-no-thanks-to-vista-for-2008-olympics/

So here's my Vista vs. XP rant.

2. halobox

halobox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My opinion for what it's worth is that you should run what you want to run. WinXP is still plenty good for most peoples needs.

3. Waveblade

Waveblade Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That clicking is really odd. I didn't hear anything like that on my laptop.

4. The Assuager

The Assuager Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    eventually, however, vista will take over.

5. sp00n

sp00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your fan is probably louder than the hard disk clicking noise. Put your ear close to the hard disk and see if you can hear it.

6. sp00n

sp00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Large corporations won't be switching anytime soon. Usually they won't switch until there's a _need_ to, such as losing support from Microsoft.

7. paOol

paOol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i fixed that quote for you.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    It is refreshing for a old man like me to see such reticence to change in the young. At least I know I'll be employable much longer than I will need to be.

9. The Goalkeeper

The Goalkeeper Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For being less than a year old, Vista is wonderful

10. capflam

capflam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like vista much more than XP. cleaner, simpler, but also slower.
    You need some serious computer power to appreciate it.

I've run Vista since January, always had at least T7200, 2Gb ram, and a 7200rpm hard drive and I really enjoyed it.
    I could not find much compatibility issues, at least nothing that would bother me.

Now I am using a T61 T7500 with 4Gb Ram and 200Gb 7200rpm drive and I would never go back to XP. My Vista just flies and makes my life so much simpler than XP did.

It was the same rant when XP came out, same when Windows 2000 came out...people have hard time to change.

companies can't be compared to personal users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.